Sunday, September 07, 2014

i'm all about that bass, 'bout that bass, no treble

Today was an extremely long day, with extremes of drunkeness and sobriety that even I find difficult to believe I could pull off in any sort of reasonable fashion. It started at seven...but it really started at 5:15, since for some reason I keep waking up then and then dozing fitfully until it's time for my alarm to go off. But I eventually got out of bed, showered, pulled myself together, and went down the street to Rapha for an eight a.m. writing date with Kathia. She was in fine spirits, and I got almost to the end of the scene I was working on, so that's great.

But then I abandoned writing and focused on killing my liver instead. First up was brunch, which was accomplished in due form somewhere in SoMA (south of Market, for those of you who don't live in SF and want to know what the acronym means). We had two relatively large mimosas each, so that was a great start. Then we picked up more alcohol (a bottle of rosé champagne and a bottle of pinot noir) and went to a friend's house to watch a football game. I know, who am I? As it turns out, every team I cared about or cheered for today lost -- the Northwestern game I was watching was not good, Iowa State lost near the end, and the Stanford/USC game was a shitshow from what I saw on twitter/espn.

So that was a bummer. But I mostly self-medicated by drinking that entire bottle of champagne by myself -- oops. This was a double oops because the game ended at four, I got home at 4:30, and then I took a v. necessary eighteen minute nap before eating some leftover pizza, drinking some water, putting on a dress (extremely hastily) and getting an uber to this wedding I had to go to tonight. The original Jen Lui got married at the DeYoung, and it was utterly gorgeous and incredibly fun. Of course, I was very nearly late (although I made it with a few minutes to spare), and I was still drunk. This may be a new low, since I have never gone to a wedding drunk before...

...but I think I managed to be my usual charming, effervescent self. The ceremony was outside in the sculpture garden, and their vows and the speech by their officiant were tear-inducing. Then we went up to the tower for cocktail hour, which gave us *amazing* sunset views of the city. I refrained from drinking alcohol for the reasons listed above, and so by the time we went back down to the ground floor for dinner, I was sobering up fast...

...and then I started drinking red wine and pretty much didn't stop. So, basically, I got drunk, then sober, then drunk, then sober(ish) in the span of twelve hours. Oops. But I had a totally awesome time - I was seated with Joann, Jane, Lizzie (in from Seattle), and a couple of people I knew and loved at the day job years ago but hadn't seen in forever (Kimi and Betsy, who I will hopefully see again very soon). So we enjoyed our salads and entrees, and then had a totally ridic time on the dance floor. Then we shared an uber back to my neighborhood since Joann/Jane/Lizzie are staying in a hotel nearby, I dropped off the centerpieces I stole from the wedding and changed into jeans and comfortable shoes, and I met them at Brazen Head for post-wedding discussing.

And now, while I would like to try to edit this and make it funnier/more heartwarming, I really must sleep - you'll have to tolerate me as I am for the next few weeks. Goodnight!

No comments: