Sunday, September 21, 2014

give a little bit

I worked all day with not a lot of new words to show for it, but what I did do was all v. necessary, so I'll take it. I woke up at six, answered a couple of emails, went back to sleep until eightish, and then decided to get on with my day. That wasn't really enough sleep, but time waits for no man, so I dragged myself out of bed, threw on some clothes, took care of a couple of tings, and then met up with Kathia at Goody, where I slogged relentlessly for three hours. I wasn't writing, exactly - I was researching things that I had questions about for the book (sloops vs. schooners, what architectural styles happened in which orders in Britain from 1500 to 1800, a long list of words that I needed to check the etymology of to see whether they were used in 1813, etc.). So I got through all the questions, which was great - that stuff takes time, and it was a good task to do when I was feeling drained and depleted from yesterday's marathon writing session.

Unfortunately, by that point it was almost one p.m., and so I had to forego my only social plan of the weekend (John and Jess's Oktoberfest party) in the interest of doing more work. Also, I'd booked a massage for late this afternoon, and if I skipped it I'd forfeit the money, so I prioritized falling asleep while letting a stranger touch me over seeing my friends. Sadness. So I worked until the massage, got the massage, talked to Kathia briefly after, and then came home and worked on a promo thing for an hour. Then I had dinner with Terry, which was v. necessary - I had subsisted all day on hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, lattes, and the leftover pizza I stole from her, which isn't really a balanced diet. And over the course of dinner I came up with an idea so fascinating and bizarre that she couldn't really look at me or talk to me after that - this always happens at least once when I'm in crazy end-of-book mode, so I'm glad that it arrived on schedule.

Then I came home, did two hours of work for the day job (which was two hours more than I wanted to do), and now must go to bed if I have any hope of surviving tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: