Saturday, April 25, 2015

tomorrow is a latter day

I think it's time for me to sleep...today was mostly great, but then I hit a wall with talking to strangers at the end of the night (more on that shortly), and so I'm feeling cranky and ready for bed. But the rest of the day was great. I got sufficient sleep last night, puttered around the house this morning, and then walked to Philz at Golden Gate Ave, which I'd never been to before - and I just happened to run into Chandlord, who was there doing something other than writing romance novels. It's not entirely unexpected that we'd both end up there, since we were meeting for brunch two blocks away an hour later, but still.

So I wrote for an hour while drinking coffee and sitting next to her, and I got the full debrief on her trip to NYC. Then we left the coffee place to have brunch with Dave and Claudia (aka Santy Claude) - this is a rather strange group of people, obvi, since Chandlord and Claude are part of the family and Dave is a coworker, but that's the way the plans shaped up. Terry (remember her?) and I had bought tickets to 'Book of Mormon' six months ago, but Terry is now in NYC, and so I had both her pair and my pair to dispose of. So Dave/Chandlord/Claudia were the lucky winners of the 'who gets to go to the Book of Mormon' discussions I had in an effort to get rid of the tickets.

We started with brunch at Elmira, where the food was pretty tasty (the home fries were excellent, and I liked the truffle hollandaise sauce on my eggs even if the poached eggs were just slightly watery). Then we had a glass of wine at The Market; my Honig sauvignon blanc was tasty, although I wished I could have had the chocolate cookie that Dave and Vidya split. Then we went across the street to the theatre, where we had decent enough seats for 'Book of Mormon'.

As it turns out, the musical was delightful - I liked the choreography a lot, and the performance was generally excellent. It's by the 'South Park' writers, if you didn't know, so it's quite irreverent, but the songs were great. And it was great to do something 'culture'-ish, something completely different from what I normally do, after a month of stressing about the day job / moving / writing / being hermity.

Anyway, after the performance Dave dropped me off at my place, and I packed up my stuff and took a forty-five minute walk down to the Marina to go to my favorite Greek place before they forgot about me. I intended to write there, and it was all going swimmingly...until some dude sat down next to me, and I was too polite initially, and then he proceeded to keep trying to talk to me for the next two hours even though it was clear that I was working. Grr. I don't want to be a bitch in those situations, but also, people should take a fucking hint.

But I wrote a few pages, and I had chicken skewers, and it was lovely to see the staff even if the clientele left a lot to be desired. And now I must sleep so that I can get some writing done tomorrow (and also possibly unpack my last two boxes) - goodnight!

No comments: