Saturday, April 04, 2015

this light is contagious

The first full day of the writing retreat was, on the whole, quite successful. I didn't write a new scene, but I did a lot of high-quality brainstorming, and I may have figured out what was bugging me about Rafe's motivation. I also documented the timeline from Thorington's book so that I know exactly which days/nights are already locked in regarding where Rafe and Octavia are (or aren't) throughout this book, since the books overlap slightly (protip: never write overlapping books). And I made a fancy tracking spreadsheet, which was admittedly a totally procrastinatory move.

But I'll take it all. I also got a lot of sleep (eight hours last night + a nap this evening), enjoyed some brief social time with people throughout the day, went across the street to get caffeine twice, and then slacked off around 5pm and had wine and dinner with everyone. I quite like that we make dinner in the houses and sit around and talk for a couple of hours after; the table is just the right size for all eight of us, and I hear such fascinating things about the industry (and laugh a lot) while this is going down.

But now I need to sleep; while I was satisfied with today's progress, I have higher hopes for tomorrow's wordcount. Goodnight!

No comments: