Wednesday, April 08, 2015

you got me running all the lights

My writing retreat is suddenly, sadly, rapidly drawing to a close. I still have all day tomorrow to be productive and hang out with other writers, but we're leaving early Friday morning to return to reality, so I'm hoping I can make tomorrow count.

Today was lovely, however, despite the fact that yesterday's word count wasn't achieved again today - but it turns out that most people weren't nearly as productive today as yesterday. My guess is that yesterday's snow kept everyone quiet, but everyone was eager to get out today - and so around 1:30, I went with Bella, Anne, and one of the Barbaras to Heavenly (five minutes away), where Anne and Barbara rode the gondola up to the top of the mountain while Bella and I wrote at Starbucks. As it turns out, that hour and a half at Starbucks was the only truly productive time in my day. I passed the 1000-word goal I set for every day of this retreat (which I've succeeded at meeting every day except the first two, when I was still brainstorming), but by the time Anne and Barbara came back down, I was done. So we did a bit of shopping - it's become de rigueur for us to buy shirts or something from the towns where we do our retreats and then take a photo in them, so I had to buy something Tahoe-ish for tonight's photo. My choice was sweatpants, which are super cute but perhaps also slightly too tight across the derriere for social media...or maybe they're perfect. Either way, that's where I went, and the photo was cute enough, I think.

sssanyway, we came home, I pretended to work for awhile longer, but I mostly just messed around. Then we walked back down toward Heavenly for dinner at a v. fancy, v. delish restaurant - it was the first time we ate out as a group while we were here, and it was sort of a day-early celebration of a successful retreat, since Tina is leaving a day before the rest of us. I had some v. tasty scallops, but the crab chile relleno was perhaps the best thing I've had in a long time. And the company continued to be delightful; this really is an unusual writing retreat group in that the eight of us never seem to run out of things to say, but also never seem to tire of each other, and so that's all lovely.

But now, after a lot of talk about the Donner Party on the way home with Bella and Grace, I need to sleep so that I can be maximally productive on my last day here...goodnight!

No comments: