Sunday, April 19, 2015

the public don't dwell on my transmission

It's a foggy night in San Francisco (not an unusual statement to make), and I'm enjoying it while sitting on my couch in an apartment that's almost (but not totally) unpacked. I finally felt like I saw the light at the end of the tunnel today, and I'm getting very close - there's still a couple of boxes to unpack (mostly decorative stuff that I couldn't get out until I'd decided what else needed to go on shelves), and at some point I need to get someone to help me rearrange the library cabinet/bookshelf/dining table situation since the current setup is extremely suboptimal compared to how I should have set it up.

But the place is almost livable, if not at the point where I'd have a party. And this is a good thing, since I'm going to have a brutally hectic week, and I want to keep making progress on Rafe and Octavia. So I'm probably going to force myself to take a break on some of the apartment stuff for the next few days in favor of focusing on bigger priorities.

Still, today was nearly perfect in its loveliness. I didn't sleep well last night (blame it on the caffeine and alcohol I had with Claude - I slept great until 5am, and then I didn't sleep well at all), but I rallied and got up/showered/dressed/etc in time to walk to Rapha to meet Kathia for a writing date. I'm now a 30-minute walk from Rapha instead of a ten-minute walk, but it was nice to go there and even better to meet up with Kathia. We didn't talk much, since we were both in work mode, but I wrote three pages or so, which was perfect for making me feel like I'd done something worthwhile with my day.

Eventually, though, I abandoned Kathia to have brunch at Blackwood. I'd never been there in the four years that I lived in the Marina, and after going there today, I don't really regret not having been there before. The food was aight, and my mimosa was fine, but I wouldn't walk forty minutes for it again. Still, I had a good time catching up with Dave, and he gave me a ride home, so it was a nice interlude - even if he did come up with the Gollum scale for assessing whether I've gone off the deep end while writing (it involves not wearing shoes, and possibly eating a live fish - while I can live without shoes, I hope the fish thing doesn't happen). I also started lusting after the new MacBook Air, since we stopped by the Apple store to check it out - but I don't need a new laptop, and I just bought a phone, so I'm reminding myself that my lust doesn't have to be acted upon.

So I accomplished writing and brunch early enough that I was home by noon, and I spent the rest of the afternoon organizing and arranging and rearranging, etc. I took a break at four to call my parents, who were in fine form. And then I did a bit more stuff until 6:15, at which point I walked to Fillmore and met Lauren (aka Subz) and Nathan for dinner at Troya. While I'd seen Lauren just about as recently as I've seen anyone, given the fact that I was in Tahoe and also moving, it still felt like it had been way too long - so it was great to catch up with them. Nathan heavily advocated for beginning to write fictional stories on my blog, preferably about zombie apocalypses, but we'll see whether that happens.

And now, I must sleep; morning is going to come far too early, and I want to write before work (even though I'd be better off resting - I have meetings straight from 9 to 4, with a 30min break for lunch, which is not going to be enough to keep me sane. Goodnight!

No comments: