Friday, April 10, 2015

something in the night is dangerous

I'm so sad to be leaving the writing retreat, even though it's for the best - altitude does not do good things for my skin, and I'm feeling rather crypt-keeperish since everything's desiccated and awful. But beyond that, I've had a fabulous time, and I feel like I'm getting into Rafe and Octavia's story in a way that wouldn't have been possible if I were still doing the daily grind this past week. I've also deepened my friendships with the women who were here, which is awesome; since I'm rather hermity, making new friends is sometimes challenging (who knew that new people don't just show up in your hermit cave when you need them??), but while I am quite blissfully content with the friends I have, the new friends I've made in this group are utterly awesome.

Yes, I'm using a lot of superlatives. Yes, I had some wine. But the point is, while I get basically everything I need from the wonderfully close friends I've had since college (plus Katie, Subz, Heather, and a couple of other randoms whom I've somehow tricked into being friends), it's really nice to have writer friends as well. And these writer friends are particularly lovely, since they're excellent people who are also excellent writers who are also excellent businesspeople. And that hits my trifecta of awesome.

Okay, enough gushing. Today was fineish; I continued to dehydrate, and I continued to procrastinate, but I hit my daily goal and made ~1400 words, which I was totally satisfied with. I also had some delightful afternoon conversations with Bella while we were both supposed to be writing, which I'll take. And we had a delicious last supper (enchiladas that I really want the recipe for), and I split a final bottle of my favorite wine with one of the Barbaras, and I stayed up late(ish) talking to Anne.

But all things end, and I need to sleep so I can get up and pack tomorrow. I'm actually eager to get home, even if I'm not eager to get into my routine; I want to finish unpacking my new apartment this weekend, and while I'm not looking forward to going home to a total mess, I'm looking forward to making significant progress toward being settled. But I also want to maintain the writing focus I've been redeveloping on this retreat, and so I hope that I can devote some quality time to the writing despite whatever shenanigans I may get up to over the course of the weekend.

Those are all goals for the weekend, though; for now, I must sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: