Tuesday, February 10, 2015

a spoonful of sugar

I should probably pretend that today was all grind / no fun, as befits my status as a productive member of corporate America...but that would be a lie. Granted, I got up at 5:40ish, but I laid in bed too long (because I *love* my new bed), and so I didn't get out the door until 6:40, which was late enough that I didn't arrive on campus until eight. Ugh. But once I got there, I grabbed a latte and grabbed a seat next to one of my coworkers so that it felt like I was working in a cafe with Kathia (when really I was clearly the only person in the whole establishment who was considering the merits of making a main character into a courtesan...everyone else appeared to be working on tech-related stuff, as per usual), and I proceeded to mess around with Rafe and Octavia for almost an hour. It's still early days, but I think I'm going to love them...

...but I had to stop loving them so I could get on with my day. I had a meeting, then walked across campus to take two more meetings before grabbing lunch there and walking back to my building. After eating lunch, I collected Dave and Tomas and walked to another building to celebrate someone's birthday...but the birthday girl wasn't there when we arrived, and I had a meeting I couldn't duck out of, so I sullenly sat in the conference room while hearing the party outside. But Dave and Lillian (the other member of our Frankfurt trip of fun, with whom I'm going to India in ten days) both independently brought me champagne, since a) I couldn't eat the cake and b) clearly I have a known weakness for champagne.

After all that, I walked back to my building again, where I promptly had to celebrate another birthday - my life is hard. And then I had meetings, but I got out by 4:45, was home by six, and was able to spend a glorious half-hour lying in my new bed and reading about the development of rural France, as one is wont to do. I had to abandon my leisure to have dinner with Terry, who recapped her trip to NYC over burgers at Roam, and it was all v. lovely (until she decided that I may, in face, be exactly like Mary Poppins, which was a surprising revelation).

And now I must sleep so that I can do it all again tomorrow (well, the writing part, and the celebration of at least one birthday but probably not two)...goodnight!

No comments: