Sunday, February 22, 2015

winter of our discontent

I'm sitting in Frankfurt, waiting for my plane to India...and it feels like I've been here forever, but that's probably residual PTSD from my last voyage(s) through the Frankfurt airport. However, I have been up for most of the past twenty-four hours...it was exactly twenty-four hours ago that I woke up to start this journey, and I still have another eight or nine hours to go.

I must say, though, that business class has spoiled me for ever flying economy overseas again. Not that I can hold myself to that, since business class is expensive...but it was worth flying through Frankfurt for. I was in domestic first class from SFO to Chicago, which was like sitting in a stagecoach compared to the bliss that was the lie-flat bed and the private entertainment system and the copious amounts of surprisingly good red wine that I was served in international business class from Chicago to Frankfurt. It was even worth sitting on the tarmac in Chicago for two hours for - some baggage handler probably lost his job when he drove a container into one of the cargo doors and broke something important, so we sat there while it was being fixed. But we made it over the ocean without dying, so that was great!

And then we (we = me + Lillian) were in Frankfurt airport, which I continue to despise. I'd been looking forward to taking a shower here, but after forty-five minutes of wandering, we got to the business class lounge in our terminal and discovered that only the lounges in the terminal we'd arrived in have showers. Hahahaha. That's par for the course for Frankfurt, and I look forward to seeing how else it can screw me over before the end.

But now I must pack up and get ready to board - India is next. Goodnight(??)!

No comments: