Tuesday, February 24, 2015

take a note for the lump that sits inside your throat

Jet lag is hitting hard, but I think I really hit the wall because I've been with people and/or noise for almost the entirety of the last seventy-two hours, and my hermity country-raised soul is in fight-or-flight mode now. India is a truly awesome place, but it is not the quietest place in the world, and I didn't realize how accustomed I'd become to relative silence until I sat in the car this afternoon and prayed for death to take me so I wouldn't have to hear another car horn or ignore another beggar scratching at my window.

Okay, maybe that's melodramatic. Today was pretty good, all things considered. I met Lillian at seven so that Vinay could take us to Agra Fort - this is earlier than I ever go to anything touristy, but I'm glad we did, because it was amazing to see as the sun rose, and it was also almost totally empty of crowds. This is a rare, unprecedented phenomenon in India - I didn't think it was possible to go anywhere in this country without being surrounded by the hordes, and it was great to get some pictures there before anyone else arrived for the day.

But all things must come to an end, so we drove back to Gurgaon (on the old road this time, which contributed to my bleeding ears since the traffic is way more chaotic) with a stop to see Akbar's Tomb (Akbar was the grandfather of Shah Jahan; Shah Jahan is the one who built the Taj Mahal). We also stopped to eat lunch along the road, which may kill me tonight. Then we got to Gurgaon, checked into our hotel, messed around for a bit, and then had a v. long, interesting dinner with Sriram (the little boss) and Eugene (I'm trying very hard to befriend him, but he said he made a couple of friends in kindergarten and that's all he needs...probably not, but it doesn't bode well for my mission).

And now I must sleep before I start blogging nonsense - goodnight!

No comments: