Wednesday, February 11, 2015

i think with my heart and i move with my head

I've survived the first sixty percent of the work week, which is a v. happy realization, particularly since next week is only a four-day week before I leave for India. Today feels like it was a long and brutal slog, but in reality I got approximately ninety minutes of work done. I woke up early and spent an hour writing before work, which went well, and then I had an hour of meetings. But I left the office at 10:15 to pick up cupcakes for a team birthday, then go to the gym and train with Alyssa, then shower. After that, I was going to eat a quick lunch at my desk, but I was lured into walking to another cafe to grab food, which was a good (if entirely undeserved) break.

Theoretically I could have worked after that, but instead I went to the onsite clinic to discuss my upcoming trip to India and see if I need any more vaccinations. The only one I needed was typhoid, so they gave me the shot and sent me on my way. After that, I went back to my desk and immediately celebrated a coworker's birthday (three in two days is a bit too much, although at least this time I was able to eat the dessert since I bought myself a gluten-free cupcake along with the other cupcakes I picked up).

Theoretically I could have worked after that as well, and I did do some stuff...but I cut out at 4:45 and drove home instead. Traffic was fairly challenging tonight, but I gave a coworker a ride back to the city, so for once I had someone to talk to rather than just forcing myself to zone out. I wanted to drown my day in a whole vat of wine when I got home (even great days deserve death by drowning when it takes an hour and forty minutes to get home), but instead I ate a salad, drank some water, and got over my commute enough to remember that the rest of the day was lovely.

But tomorrow and Friday are going to be more of the same...apparently Obama is going to be in town at some point, which always causes carmageddon, and so I expect that my commutes will be murderous. Wish me luck in surviving the road wars - goodnight!

No comments: