Monday, August 24, 2009

smash and grab

My day started out quite nicely; I slept for 10+ hours, and then spent a couple of hours hanging out with Ritu, Roopa and some other dude who stayed over at our place. I decided to go out and enjoy the afternoon, and so I took the muni to Union Square and had a late lunch at Samovar. Amusingly, the waiter asked me if Tammy and Shedletsky, who went with me a few weeks ago, were my parents -- I really don't know how he could have mistaken them for my parents, but it made me laugh. Then, I went to Container Store and picked up a couple of tings, came home, and talked to my parents.

However, it went downhill after that -- I decided to take some stuff to storage, but when I went downstairs to my car, I discovered that someone had, in broad daylight, smashed my passenger side front window and stolen my ipod and phone charger. My iPod was out of sight in the center console, so I'm not sure why they picked my car -- maybe the person was a disaffected, unemployed Cal student who hated my Stanford license plate holder. Anyway, a neighbor loaned me a broom so that I could sweep out some of the glass, and then I filed the police report, called my insurance, and called my bank to cancel my bank account (since they also stole my spare checkbook). When Adit came home, he insisted on going with me to Vidya's so that I could leave my car there (luckily the doorman was my favorite one and let me park there with no questions asked), and so at least my car is safe underground until tomorrow.

That pretty much ruined my evening, although I'm not as upset as one might think -- there's really nothing I can do about it, so whatever. Now we're watching a recording of this morning's "Meet the Press", where they just asked a question referencing the eighth anniversary of 9/11 -- which reminds me that I'm going to be 28 in just a few weeks. Sigh. I think it's time for bed; let's hope that tomorrow brings better news!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wahl man of the year contestant wants to know if the smash and grab is merely a publicity stunt for the latest book.

http://www.wahlnation.com/ManOfTheYear/Des%20Moines

Anonymous said...

In Allerton they could have just opened the unlocked door or reached through the open window. Much more civilized than smashing.
Slater

Anonymous said...

not that it wouldn't be an honor to have given birth to you (at age negative 2), but ugh god bizarre - who was that blind loser. or was that just the dumbest pickup line ever.
-t

Sara said...

@anonymous - I voted for you! It's amazing I could pick you out of a lineup of a hundred mustached men...apparently now that you're my uncle, I have an uncanny ability to spot you in a crowd.