Saturday, October 01, 2011

when i'm at the bar, security just can't fight them off

Today was lovely, but tomorrow will be epic. I had quite a productive morning and afternoon; I took care of a lot of emails and tings before speeding down to the south bay for my training session with Alyssa. Alyssa knows that I'm going winetasting tomorrow, and the workout she designed seemed purposefully intended to ensure that I can't lift my arms (or the dangerous, sweet nectar that is wine). Since she didn't know what a mojito was before I started training with her, she and I clearly have different views on alcohol -- hers is the healthy/trainer approach, whereas mine is the fun/Hemingway approach. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

After working out, I ate a late lunch at Joanie's Cafe (where I surprised the waiter by getting eggs instead of a salad). Then I went to the grocery store, where I checked out three times -- once for 70 bottles of water (see: wine tasting tomorrow and my desire to keep the group hydrated), once for snacky snacks (because the water weighed so much that I couldn't steer the cart, so had to do two trips), and once because I got in my car and realized I'd forgotten to buy cups. After I finally finished at Safeway, I sped back to the city of sin and furiously cleaned the apartment in preparation for the weekend. I got through everything I wanted to get done just when my friend Vivi (note: not her real name - that's the glory of being friends with romance authors, since everyone has multiple identities) called to say she was looking for parking. Vivi's in town for the weekend, and possibly forever if my nefarious plans to convince her to move her are successful. So I met her downstairs, she came up and saw the apartment, and we promptly retired to the roof deck, where we started to catch up in the glorious late afternoon sun.

At some point Terry came home, who had the unbelievably bad luck to be rear-ended a second time in three days on her way home from work tonight. Needless to say, she needed a drink, so she made us cosmos and we continued to sit on the deck until it got dark/cold. We spent some more time hanging out downstairs, then adjourned to Perry's for dinner (and another drink, por supuesto), where I took an awesome photo of a man whose shirt exactly matched the tablecloth. Then, we came home, painted our toenails, watched "Big Bang Theory", and then watched an episode of "Jeopardy!" that I'd taped from yesterday. I never tape Jeopardy, but my friend Chris Fleitas was on it -- he was one of the kids at the summer camp that I went to in high school, and I stayed with him when my parents made the v. questionable decision of letting me go to Mardi Gras my senior year of high school, alone, with kids from camp that they had never met (Chris lived in New Orleans then). Chris lives out here now and I haven't seen him in forever, but I saw on Facebook that he would be on Jeopardy, so I taped it. And he was AMAZING - I forgot to tape today's episode, but he won yesterday and today for a combined two-day total of $83,000. Boo yah! Yeah, I realize it's silly to get so excited, particularly when I haven't seen someone in ages (which is mostly my fault, since I'm flaky), but I like Chris and that's ridiculously cool.

Anyway, post Jeopardy, it was clearly time to go to bed -- wine tasting is in the morning, and I can't wake up late for it given how much I've harangued everyone about getting here on time. Tomorrow will be epic, and I will do my best to stay awake long enough to blog tomorrow night. Goodnight!






No comments: