Monday, October 24, 2011

told you from the start

Ah, Sundays. Even though I don't have an office or a day job, my weeks have kept a week-ish rhythm, and Sundays remain the day for laundry, calls with the parents, and general sloth. I was more slothful than I would have liked, which is slightly annoying, but I shall hit it hard tomorrow to make up for my evil ways.

I woke up late this morning, probably because I woke up in the middle of the night with a ridiculous stomachache and it took awhile to fall asleep again. I've been avoiding blogging about this because I didn't want it to be true -- but Alyssa suggested that I stop eating wheat/gluten to see how it makes me feel, and it's made a big difference. I ate a hamburger bun last night (after having two cosmos, which perhaps dulled my judgment), and then my stomach hurt, which I'm afraid is not a coincidence. So, I'm going to keep going with this no-gluten thing for awhile and see how it treats me, and then perhaps go to my allergist to confirm. The good news, though, is that I seem to have no adverse reactions to dairy -- if I couldn't have gluten or dairy, I would demand to be shot and put out of my misery, but losing one of the two seems halfway acceptable.

Anyway, I had a gluten-free breakfast (trail mix) and lunch (tuna and pickles, sans bread), then took a walk and talked to my mom. It was gorgeous today -- so gorgeous that I'm a little surly, since I'm ready for it to be fall and it insists on finally being summer. I walked for awhile, then sat on a bench overlooking the marina, then walked back; all told, I talked to my mother for somewhere around seventy-five minutes. My father lost out, since he wasn't home when I called; in his defense, I called earlier than usual, and when he tried to call me back later, I was out to dinner. But it was lovely sitting in the sun and looking at the Golden Gate Bridge, so I'm glad I spent some time outside.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and bought some fine gluten free products (hamburger, arborio rice for risotto, bananas, cottage cheese, etc.), since I thought I was having dinner at home tonight. Then I did some work, which was mostly subsumed into general slacking, since I intended to work tonight. But at 5:30pm I got a text from Irish Matt, who was in Palo Alto for one night only and wanted to see if I was down there and willing to grab a drink. I wasn't down there, but I don't see him very often, so I threw on some clothes (since sweatpants just wouldn't do) and drove down to meet him. We went to Nola, where I had a steak, mashed potatoes and green beans (not so shabby) and we split a pitcher of raspberry mojitos. Irish Matt was in fine form, and we spent a bit more quality time together across the street at Coupa Cafe before I dropped him off at his hotel. Then I drove home, crossed a few minor things off my to do list, and am now determined to go to bed so that I can work like crazy tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: