Tuesday, October 11, 2011

she moves in mysterious ways

I'm blogging while I'm out and about in the village surrounding my secret writing hideaway, so you'll just have to assume that I'm alive at midnight as usual. Today was insanely productive, and I knocked off early as a result. I woke up around 8:30 (so much for getting up super early, but since I slept badly my first night here, I suppose I needed it), showered, etc., and then adjourned to a nearby Starbucks, where I worked for a couple of hours until a fire alarm went off and rousted me and the cooling remnants of my venti latte from a prime spot by the window. It was probably for the best; I was using the internet too much while I was there, which was necessary in some respects (I needed to respond to comments on the romance post I put up on a group blog yesterday, and there were a lot of them), but was slowing down my progress on my own writing.

So after Starbucks, I went in search of lunch (and had shepherd's pie - yum) and wrote several pages of longhand notes about Amelia and Malcolm's new story. Then I went home and wrote several more pages of notes. Then I wrote 5400 words, which is approximately 22 pages. Granted, what I wrote was more of a stream-of-consciousness telling of the highlights of each scene, but since I blocked out the first two-thirds of the book, I was insanely pleased with myself. By 7:15ish, my brain was totally fried, and so I decided to reward myself with the rest of the night off. And so now I just finished eating some delicious sushi, drinking two v. strong soju-based cocktails, and reading the first part of Julia Quinn's latest release (which came out over the summer, and which I'd never gotten around to reading). I intend to go back to my suite, curl up in bed, finish the rest of the book, sleep the sleep of the just, and then wake up in the morning and do it all again. There are moments like these when the writing life is totally sweet. And I'm sure it will suck again sometime in the not-too-distant future, but tonight, I love it. Goodnight!

No comments: