Sunday, October 02, 2011

settle for a world neither up or down

Today didn't contain nearly as much regret as I expected it to; while I certainly had a hangover, it was nowhere near the level of hangover I was expecting when I started making wine bus arrangements so many weeks ago. I didn't sleep well with the alcohol still coursing through my veins, but other than that, everything else was pretty lovely. I spent some quality time this morning with Vivi (not her real name) before coming back upstairs, taking a v. hot, v. leisurely shower, drying my hair (which takes no time compared to last week, when I was still drying my waist-length mane), and preparing myself to face the day.

I had accepted all week that today would be a complete wash, but it became not-a-wash when Vivi and I went to Leland Tea to write for a couple of hours. I have a feeling she was more productive than I was, but since I really just wanted to put my head down on the table and instead managed to write three pages, I'll take it. I forced her to leave Leland Tea with me around 4pm so that I could come home and have my usual call with my parents, who seemed to be in fine form. Then, I took a rather unplanned and unexpected nap before venturing back downstairs and washing a dozen or so wine glasses and several of my martini glasses in an attempt to repair the ravages of yesterday. The kitchen is basically back in order, even if we do need to clean a lot of inedible leftovers out of the fridge. We ended the evening by going to Roam for burgers with Terry and Terry's sister Mary Kate, then coming home and watching football, then watching last week's "Project Runway" (which made me sad). And then I spent the last hour or so crossing things off my to-do list in preparation for the busy week ahead.

All told, this weekend was an excellent end to fun social butterfly Sara -- I know y'all think I'm hermity, but I'm about to get way hermitier (yes, that's now a word in my vocabulary). My agent and I are catching up sometime in the next couple of days to agree on next steps, and since I need to finish Nick and Ellie's story, rewrite Amelia and Malcolm's story, plot a novella involving some side characters from Madeleine and Ferguson's story, and somehow find time to finish my non-gargoyle young adult book, I'm going to be a busy bee over the next few months/years/decades. So I'm glad that I had a v. lovely weekend to see all my friends, which will make not seeing my friends much for awhile feel like less of a sacrifice. I mean, let's not kid ourselves -- I'll still be going out to some dinners and likely letting Adit talk me into drinking more sweet nectar than I intend to. But I'm embracing my current workaholic desires with both arms.

I suppose, however, that I should go to bed so that I can jump into all of this tomorrow with full energy and no spinning-room feeling. Goodnight!

No comments: