Saturday, October 29, 2011

don't let me get in my zone

Really, I accomplished a lot today -- so much that I'm kind of over looking at my computer, and don't really feel like blogging tonight. I woke up around 8:30 and took care of a variety of tasks before driving down to Palo Alto to train with Alyssa. She was in fine form, as usual, and my workout was just intense enough to flood me with endorphins without making me want to kill myself (or, more likely, her). After working out, I had a quick lunch at Joanie's, where I planned out my schedule for the next couple of weeks. Then I got a mani/pedi at my favorite nail salon across the street -- this may not seem necessary, but since I'm giving a toast at an engagement party tomorrow and attending a writing/media conference next week, I wanted to look a little more polished (ha).

Post-pampering, I stood in line at the Cambridge Ave post office and got a post office box. Yes, it's a little ridiculous that I got a post office box in Palo Alto when I live in San Francisco -- but I go to Palo Alto a lot, it's much easier to park there than it is at a lot of post offices in the city, and since I move a lot, it seemed like a reasonable idea to get the PO box someplace where I will naturally go at least once a week (Stanford Library) rather than getting one in a neighborhood that I will eventually mistake (say, the Marina). I anticipating getting absolutely no mail there for awhile, but I'm going to use it as the return address on promo materials, as contact info on my website/mailing lists, etc. -- so maybe I'll get a letter there in a few months.

After the post office, I picked up my dry cleaning, went to Stanford, and wrote a few pages. The scene was quite intense (an argument between Amelia and Prudence), and I found myself wondering if Amelia and Prudence had ever had some lesbian sexytimes. I don't think they did, and anyway Amelia's now firmly lusting after Malcolm -- but if I rewrite this book for the twentieth time someday, maybe I'll rewrite it as lesbian erotica to try to tap into a different market. At least I can use the covers I already had designed, since none of them feature men...

I sloughed off earlier than I should have to drive to San Bruno and have dinner with Terry, who had a v. stressful week at work and needed to decompress. We had Mexican (my fave, particularly now, since I can eat tortilla chips and corn tortillas and not feel like I'm missing out on a gluten wonderland (even if Alyssa isn't exactly a fan of enchiladas and chips)), and caught up over margaritas before coming back to the evil city. Terry wanted to make me watch some more "Bones", but I turned her down for once; I needed to read the books for book club, and since I was sober tonight, I figured it was better to do it tonight than wait until tomorrow and risk being too blitzed (ha) to read about the holocaust. The books are MAUS I and MAUS II -- they're graphic novels about the artist's relationship with his father, a Polish Jew who survived Auschwitz and many other terrible things. I plowed through them in a couple of hours and had several interesting observations, which I shall save for book club. But as a personal aside, it was interesting to me how much I focused on the dialogue and how little I looked at the actual drawings -- I really am so much more word-oriented than I am image-oriented, and it's something I struggle with in my books (since I sometimes don't describe people/objects/rooms/etc. enough, and yet can write dialogue quite quickly/easily).

And now, I should sleep; I have a lot to do tomorrow, including writing the toast that I have to give, and I need to get some writing in there someplace as well. Goodnight!

No comments: