Wednesday, October 05, 2011

sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead

It's raining, which is strangely lovely; while I appreciate the sun, I seem to prefer fog and rain when I'm attempting to write, particularly now that my apartment is bright and modern enough that the walls don't feel like they're closing in on me. Today was completely and utterly about writing, which was just what I needed. I slept until nine, and luckily I showered shortly thereafter, because around 10:30 I discovered that the water had been shut off without my knowledge, which would have been quite inconvenient if it had happened mid-shampoo. So, I vacated the premises and went to Morning Due cafe (in the neighborhood where I used to live with Adit, only a block or two from where he lives now), where I had a chicken club wrap, some potatoes, a diet coke, and a cafe au lait while writing copious notes about Malcolm and Amelia's story. I could only stay for two hours due to daytime parking restrictions, so I came home and worked here the rest of the afternoon (with a nap somewhere in there, which I don't regret at all).

I ended up writing the first three or four pages of a new scene to open Malcolm and Amelia's book. Usually I hate my openings, but this one i actually almost love. I know these characters so well from all the months/years I spent with them the first time, and so it felt easier to get back into the story, albeit in a new way. I took a break when the scene broke, though, and I didn't go back to pure writing; instead, I read part of an updated version of the screenwriting book that I love, this one supposedly with more information about how to use screenwriting techniques in romance novels. I'd say that the author didn't do a great job of including more info -- she's clearly a thriller writer, not a romance novelist, and so she just doesn't have the same excitement for or insight about romance as she does about JAWS or THE SHINING. But, it was somewhat useful for stimulating thought about how to structure Malcolm and Amelia's story (which, I realize now, has virtually no structure -- no wonder it didn't get snapped up by a publisher, even if the writing was fun enough to get several agent offers).

So I spent the afternoon alternating between writing, reading that book, eating some Keebler striped cookies (Alyssa will be so proud), and polishing off the rest of my leftover chicken wrap. By eight p.m., though, it was time to throw in the towel, and luckily I had plans already in place for my towel-throwing -- I met up with Tom (aka Tom Foolery) at a bar called the Royal Oak, which is approximately halfway between our respective dwellings. The bar was quite lovely, with a lot of velvet couches, etc., and a v. nice bartender (who made me three delicious drinks -- two pomegranate cosmos, and one Bailey's on the rocks, which admittedly a toddler could probably produce). Tom and I met up to discuss a variety of topics, particularly writing and self-publishing, and so we spent a good two hours there ruminating on the industry and life. Three drinks was enough to give me a proper buzz, which I quite enjoyed as I walked home through the light rain and empty streets. Tom is one of my faves, even though I see him infrequently (and I'm not just saying that because of the aforementioned three drinks), and so it was a wonderful end to a productive day.

Now, though, I should sleep off the remnants of my buzz so that I can make it down to the my training session with Alyssa, who will no doubt torture me once I explain to her innocent soul what cosmos and Bailey's are. Goodnight!

No comments: