Tuesday, October 18, 2011

holding grudges over love is ancient artifacts

Today was nearly perfect when it comes to my romance career, and since that's currently my only career, I'm pretty happy that it got some love. I woke up around 8:45 and actually crossed a couple of things off my to-do list before driving down to Palo Alto to see Alyssa - and since they were the things I least wanted to do, the rest of my day had to be awesome by comparison.

But just before I left to go to Palo Alto, I got an email from the woman who's designing the covers for my books. I was expecting a 2-3wk turnaround time, but she sent me the first draft of Madeleine and Ferguson's cover this morning. Those of you who know me know that I'm not the demonstrative type (unless you count hugs, or when I'm so incandescent with rage that I fail to hold it in), but I got goosebumps and almost cried when I saw the cover for the first time. It's awesome, and exactly what I wanted, and looks and feels so *real*, that I couldn't help but be excited. She made a couple of tweaks based on my feedback, then sent me a draft of Malcolm and Amelia's cover tonight (which is also awesome). So, getting some great covers is a huge relief - I want my end product to be as professional as possible, and amazing covers will go a long way toward making that happen.

Nothing could really top the covers, but I saw Alyssa anyway; she just got back from a three-day training in Vegas that was very focused on flexibility, so we did a ridiculous amount of workouts for my wrists (welcome, since I'm worried that I'll end up with arthritis like my grandmother), and she told me to switch my watch to my right wrist for awhile to see if it makes a different. And I must say that it's amazing how heavy my watch felt on my right wrist; I wear a heavy, almost-man's watch, and while I don't notice it on my left wrist, my right wrist was not loving it. After the gym, I went to Sprout and had a salad, then sat at Starbucks for a couple of hours and nursed an iced coffee while working on copyedits for Madeleine and Ferguson's book. I debated going home then, but checked out traffic and decided to stay south for rush hour, so I went to Stanford library and worked for another three hours. Then I grabbed Chipotle, came home, and had a drink with Terry whilst watching an episode of "Bones" (yes, we are so lively).

And now, I shall go to sleep, and dream of a great cover for Ellie and Nick's book, and hopefully finish copyedits for Madeleine and Ferguson tomorrow. Goodnight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The wrist band on my watch went funky so I've reverted to a pocket watch, a/k/a cell phone. I think this has been helpful to typing and healthful to wrist. Arhritis? Try a Baker's Cyst. Slater

f...... said...

cover art! can't wait to see!

Anonymous said...

hey, in one of your romance passages - preferably during a scene in which the characters are engaging in sexual foreplay - can you employ the line "he stoked her libido by unveiling his cheeto"...

...just a thought. good luck!