Saturday, October 08, 2011

ooh, i love you like a love song baby

It's Fleet Week in San Francisco, but today was the first time that it really affected me; I spent the entire day being distracted by planes flying overhead, and I expect that the weekend will contain more of the same. I didn't get out of bed until ten, which was v. necessary after getting less sleep than desirable the night before. I took my sweet time catching up online, making breakfast, cleaning the kitchen, showering, eating lunch, etc., but eventually I spent a couple of quality hours on the rooftop deck. I alternated between reading a book about marketing and selling a book (loaned to me by the girl who hosted last night's writing group) and watching the Blue Angels practice over San Francisco; my neighborhood is v. close to all the action, and there were a lot of people out on their roofs watching the action. It really is amazing what they can do, and as long as they don't crash into my apartment building, I'm v. happy that they're in town for the weekend.

Around 4:30 I was craving carbs/something sweet, so I went to La Boulange and had an almond croissant and an iced latte while continuing to read the marketing book. I also went to Sephora and only purchased exactly what I went for (moisturizer and some hand lotion), which was a miracle in its own right. By the time I got home, Terry had come home from work, and we spent a few quality hours hanging out. We watched some "Big Bang Theory" together, then went to Roam to get burgers to go, then came home and ate our burgers while drinking half a bottle of wine and watching last night's "Project Runway". I was moderately sad about who went home, but since they're down to the final six, it's going to get harder and harder to feel good about anyone who gets cut.

Normally when it's 9:30 and I've been in the grown-up equivalent of pajamas all day (leggings, basic knit dress, striped sweatshirt on top), I know that I'm just going to go to bed. But, I had grand plans to meet up with Chris Boyd and Connie, so when "Project Runway" was over, I came upstairs, redid my makeup, and changed outfits. Since I had some time before they arrived, I went overboard a bit, and so I wore a black dress with a corset bodice, fuchsia high heels, and foundation/lipgloss/green eyeshadow for lowkey drinks with old friends who I don't care about impressing. But, "Project Runway" always brings this out in me, and it's fun to dress up when I have such little occasion to whilst working from home.

Chris and Connie were kind enough to pick me up, and we went to Blackbird for drinks; Blackbird is a block from where Adit and I used to live, which means it's close to where Adit and Priyanka live now, and parking is infinitely easier there than it is in the Marina. Chris found parking immediately, across the street from where Adit and I used to live, and we proceeded to nurse our drinks for quite some time. Adit's parents are in town, so he couldn't escape quickly, but eventually they showed up and much fun was had. I can't believe I've known Chris and Adit for twelve years...time flies, apparently. Adit got us another round of drinks, but Chris and Connie left shortly thereafter to make the sad trek back to the glorious south bay (which even I can admit isn't so glorious at one a.m.). Adit, Priyanka and I sat around for another half hour or so and finished our drinks (I must say they make a good mai tai, although the mai tais I had with Terry at a seafood place in LA were much better). Then, Adit and Priyanka helped me find a cab, which turned out to be moderately terrible; the cab wasn't actually a cab, but rather an off-duty airport shuttle service, and he tried to invite himself to watch the Blue Angels on the roof with me and Terry tomorrow (amongst other come-ons), and since he didn't have a meter, he just told me I owed him whatever I thought I owed him. I had a single, brief moment of panic when I couldn't open the door as he kept asking me for my number, but then he unlocked the door and I escaped unscathed.

It's unclear to me why I have such interesting interactions with strangers, when I would trade them all for one halfway normal interaction with an interesting guy, but c'est la vie. Now I should sleep, and dream of mai tais and pirates (preferably pirates who own ships rather than chartered shuttle minivans). And I shall also wish Adit a happy birthday, since his birthday officially started while he was buying me a second mai tai -- yay! Goodnight!

No comments: