Sunday, October 30, 2011

you can't have my digital, future aboriginal

Katie (the queen of my heart) sent me a text tonight asking, in part, how my toast went -- so I must have made it sound like a big enough deal to elicit interest and concern (although she admitted that probably only she and my mother would wonder how it went). And the verdict is that it went quite well. I was slightly more nervous than I should have been, particularly after the hostess told me five minute before the toast that I was the only person toasting, but it went quite well, if I do say so myself. I had written it all out, but as it turned out I didn't have to look at my notes at all, and I channelled the corporate public speaker buried under my sarcastic, mumbling private persona. And I managed not to say anything I shouldn't have said, so I'll take it as a victory.

The whole day was consumed by the engagement party, though. I got up at 9:30, messed around too long, made some tea, and rushed around the block to the waxing salon to get my brows done. They were looking way too grandpa-ish for my age, particularly since I got my bangs trimmed this week, so waxing was essential. The aesthetician was great, but for some reason she also had to double as the receptionist, which was annoying because she kept stopping to check people in/ring them up, and so the waxing took almost half an hour. I know it was like waxing twin caterpillars, but still. Properly groomed, I came home, ate lunch (leftover hamburger, which is pretty much my gluten-free breakfast/lunch/dinner of champions, and the last of my roasted tomatoes), worked on my toast for an hour, showered, dried my hair, gussied myself up with some glittery eye shadow, considered my toast some more, finished getting dressed, stressed a little bit, drank some Diet Mountain Dew (I feel so trashy), and finally left for the party.

The party was really lovely; one of Nathan and Lauren's friends threw it at their house, and they decorated it with a Tahoe/ski lodge theme, since that's where Nathan and Lauren met. Lauren is aka Subz, for those of you who are confused by the lack of her nickname, and I introduced Subz and Nathan, quite accidentally, at a Google ski trip in 2007. That's why I was asked to give the toast, since I set them up, although my whole toast was about how it never occurred to me to set them up (worst matchmaker ever, and it makes me wonder if I should be writing romance). Terry came shortly after me, although she left early to catch the rest of the Stanford/USC game (which turned into a nailbiter, although we pulled it out in triple overtime), and John and Jess were also there, of course, which made for a lovely afternoon. I had a very long, very nice conversation with Subz's mother, who also trains with Alyssa, and so we gossiped about the gym and vowed not to tell Alyssa about the cake we ate at the party (or the wine/champagne, etc.)

I didn't leave the party until nine, and by the time I got home, I was hungry enough to eat the leftover lasagna they'd shoved upon me as I was leaving. I had dutifully avoided all gluten, except for a sliver of the cake, but as it was almost all gluten, I basically only had some grapes, a couple of slices of apple, and a bit of fondue cheese, which wasn't enough. So I ate the lasagna, which was fantastically wonderful (so at least it was worth it, in some capacity), but I don't have high hopes for feeling well because of it.

And now that I've updated you on my health like the geriatric I am, I should go to bed. I have breakfast plans (crazy, I know), then book club, then my usual Sunday rituals, and I should do some writing in there too (or at least prep for the conference I'm attending this week). Goodnight!

No comments: