Monday, March 05, 2012

anything you've been dreaming of

Don't ask about Malcolm and Amelia. It's not that they're going badly -- it's that they're not going at all, given everything else I have to do and my extreme desire not to do any of it. I think I need a day off, and I'm becoming increasingly unproductive the longer I go without a true break. I know all this, and yet I'm still at my desk at midnight. C'est la vie.

Anyway, I woke up this morning to a v. gorgeous, sunny San Francisco. If I've learned anything living here, it's to seize the warm sunny days when they exist, since usually it's sunny with a biting wind that will knock your teeth out (and yes, I know, when it never ever gets below freezing and 'biting wind' is still above 50 degrees, there's no room for complaint -- but when there's not really a summer, either, it's a strange place to live). So I showered, put on a cute sundress that is utterly inappropriate for the first weekend in March, wore sandals despite the chipping polish on my toenails, and did just a bit of work and drank just a bit of coffee before it was time to go to Katrina's for brunch. She's just back from New Zealand, and so we got together to dissect her trip. It sounds like she had an absolutely lovely, albeit ridiculous, time, and she made me v. jealous discussing everything she did and all the cool things she saw. I went to New Zealand with Aunt B (she who is now married to the scandalous husband) way back in 1999, but we only spent a week there, and I could easily go back and spend more time.

After brunch (which was delish -- frittata and an oatmeal bar, where 'bar' is a set of varied accoutrements and condiments like a salad bar, not 'bar' like a sad, hardened rectangle of oatmeal), Katrina, Chandlord and I got coffee at Contraband, where the iced latte made me utterly happy (and the company was aight). Chandlord then went home, but Katrina and I came to my place, where we both attempted to do work in the gorgeous sun of my rooftop deck. While I didn't get as much done as I should have, I will say that sitting in the sun for a few hours and enjoying life was v. v. nice. And I stayed on the deck after Katrina left and called my parents from there, so even if the warmth goes away and doesn't come back for a few weeks, at least I spent some time in it.

After that, I worked pretty much nonstop (well, I've been on my computer nonstop; I did take more breaks than I should have to read stuff online and check twitter and check sales rankings, etc.). Terry and I did leave the house again to grab dinner at Roam, where the burger is delicious enough that I don't mind that I have to eat it in a stupid lettuce wrap instead of on a bun. Then I came home, posted a guest blog that I'm hosting for someone tomorrow, answered interview questions for a blog that I'm being hosted on at the end of the month, and wrote interview questions for a blog that I'm hosting in a few weeks. It never ends.

And now, I should probably stay up all night and edit, but instead I'm going to go to bed so that I can get some sleep before working out with Alyssa tomorrow. But after Alyssa, I shall have a long and brutal slog at the library -- wish me luck!

No comments: