Wednesday, March 21, 2012

it's all in your face, i see you break

My week of fun continues...although today wasn't pure fun, given that I had to go to the dentist. Still, all things considered the day was lovely. I spent a desultory morning hanging around the place, then went down to San Jose to the dentist (since I'm still using the dentist I started seeing years ago when I lived farther south - there's no point in switching when I only go twice a year). I got a clean bill of health, with no cavities at all (again). Then I went to Target, where I stocked up on supplies (since y'all know I like to be well-supplied) and got possibly the worst Starbucks drink I've ever had the misfortune of drinking.

Post Target, I had intended to go to a cafe and work until dinner, but my dinner date was Heather (aka dear respected madam), and she said I was welcome to go to her house and hang out with Salim until she got home. Theoretically I could have worked there, but since I'm under an Alyssa-mandated fun ordinance, I instead chatted with Salim, then watched an episode of Archer and part of "Sin City". When Heather got home, all three of us went out for dinner...and the place was absolutely fantastic. It's called Naglee Park Garage, and it looks utterly unassuming -- the inside space is tiny, like a garage, and most of the seating is outside. But their menu is surprisingly fancy and changes regularly; right now it's Mardi Gras inspired, and so I had a stuffed pork and andouille sausage dish that was incredible, while Salim had a rabbit and andouille jambalaya that was also amazing, and Heather had a burger and some of the best sweet potato fries I've ever had. So that was all super fun, and I'm glad I got to spend some quality time with them (over amazing food, of course).

Post dinner, we went back to their house and Salim watched tv while Heather and I talked about dirty books and she read part of the super secret gargoyles manuscript on my laptop. I need to write the rest of it right now, apparently. Then I came home, spent the last hour procrastinating, and now need to go to bed.

But before I forget, one other piece of exciting news -- I got the proof copy of SCOTSMEN in the mail today! It's not ready for publication, since I'll have to proofread and reupload later, but this copy is a proof of what I intend to order to send to reviewers (what's known as an advanced reader copy, or ARC), and for that purpose, it looks fabulous. So I got those copies ordered tonight, then promptly decided to ignore the rest of my to-do list until morning.

And so now I should go to bed so that I can accomplish more fun tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: