Friday, March 23, 2012

you better run for the hills before they burn

I really am trying to avoid staying up all night finishing the book I started, v. ill-advisedly, at 10:30pm...perhaps I will overcome my usual tendencies after all. I'm just tired enough that I may succeed, but we shall see. I spent the day engaged in all manner of desultory tasks, and I finished cleaning my room, which made me inordinately happy. Now my bookshelves are in perfect order, my files and notebooks and little scraps of inspiration for the three or four different books I'm currently considering are all rounded up and organized, and my bedding is switched to something else (although now that I've switched it, I kind of wish I'd left it alone). Then I spent the early evening eating chili and watching basketball until Terry came home. She was followed an hour or so later by her fried Ali, who was one of her drawmates during my junior year when I was the RA in Mirlo and they were sophomores who didn't belong in that scene. I haven't kept in touch with Ali, but it was great to see her, and we sat around and drank wine and talked for a couple of hours, which counts as fun in my book.

Eventually, though, it was time for all of us to go to bed, and so Ali left, Terry went to sleep, and I crawled into bed with TIMELESS, the final book in the absurd steampunk series I've been reading. I've been reading two steampunk series, actually; this one is the longer series that went way off into a frothy display of absurdity, while the other series (THE IRON DUKE and HEART OF STEEL) is a bit grittier and way sexier. The author of TIMELESS spoke at the romance event I went to in Long Beach a few weeks ago, and I really adore her even if these books aren't precisely my cup of tea. But her next series is going to focus on the daughter of the couple in these books, which I think will make for a v. interesting story, so we'll see what happens with that.

And now, I must go to bed and ignore the seductive allure of the half-finished book sitting on my pillow. Goodnight!

No comments: