Wednesday, March 28, 2012

my darling, you are wonderful tonight

I was quite deliciously lazy today; I slept until eleven, which was delightful. After I showered, I went downstairs and discovered that Terry had come home sick (sadness), so I talked to her for a bit before eating some leftover salad and working on a guest blog post that I needed to write today. At some point we went to the grocery store together since we were both out of food, and then we came home and I finished my guest blog post (thank goodness; if you want to read it, it's linked through my romance site's press section, as usual). Then I went downstairs again and made some chai, which I proceeded to enjoy while watching tv with Terry and answering email in an utterly desultory fashion. We watched the season premiere of "Mad Men", then the first half of the "Project Runway: All Stars" finale, so that was all quite enjoyable.

But eventually I had to get dressed in something other than sweats, since I had plans tonight -- and so I put on a dress, leggings, a sweater, and some makeup and strolled out into the rain to meet up with Jenni at a wine bar on Polk Street. I walked there and back, which was good for my exercise goals but bad for my dryness goals, given the rain -- but the rain wasn't heavy, just persistent, and so while my skirt got a little wet, I'm certainly not going to die from it. However, Jenni's shuttle was extremely delayed, so I spent twenty minutes or so drinking wine by myself and brainstorming about Nick and Ellie (good thing I took my notebook). When she got there, we enjoyed a couple of glasses of wine and split a cheese/charcuterie platter, which was totally awesome; we had three cheeses and a bunch of different cold cut meats, with honey, apricot jam, applesauce, mustard, olives, etc. I love my vegetarian friends, but it was lovely to eat charcuterie instead of roughage. And it was great to see Jenni; I haven't seen her by herself in ages, so we had a lot to catch up on, and it was awesome.

We parted ways around 9ish, and I walked home (still in the rain) and messed around online. Then I spent the past forty-five minutes or so continuing to brainstorm Nick and Ellie -- it's an interesting plotting/character development experience because I have to plot out both what is happening "now" (winter/spring of 1813) and what happened when they originally fell in love (over the course of several seasons between 1800 and 1803). It's a super tricky book to write because they have so much shared history, and I have to allude to that shared history in a way that enriches the story without dwelling too much, and also in a way that makes it realistic that they would fall in love again when they're both trying desperately to be totally over each other. But I think I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to start writing again...so we'll see whether they're nice to me or whether I want to kill them off and start anew with Prudence (which I won't do; I have to write them regardless of whether they're nice to me or not).

Okay, the end of the blog for tonight; I must sleep, perchance to accomplish something tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: