Saturday, March 03, 2012

some nights you're like nothing i've ever seen before or will again

I had a lovely day, even if I'm not done with SCOTSMEN. I woke up around 8:30 and took care of a variety of tings around the house until a little after noon, when I then vacated the apartment to go to my beloved Readers Cafe and edit for a few hours. When I got there, though, I discovered that the damned place is CLOSING on Sunday, which made me quite sad, as I had only just discovered it a couple of months ago. Apparently they're going to try to put another cafe into the space, and I hope that it doesn't take them long to do so, because the place is the perfect combination of "just busy enough to stay interesting" and "just slow enough that it's always possible to get a table". Also, it opens directly into a used bookstore/nonprofit run by the Friends of the San Francisco Public Library, which is dangerous in its own right; I walked out of there today with three books on British history that I hadn't intended to buy, but that all looked fantastic.

Anyway, I had a latte and a coffee and mourned quietly to myself while editing SCOTSMEN, which went pretty well, all things considered. I came home around 5:45 and ordered a gluten-free pizza with the intention of holing up with it and eating it all weekend while working on the manuscript. But ten minutes later, Chandlord called and asked if I wanted to have dinner -- and since I hadn't seen her in weeks (I would have guessed three, but the blog indicates that I haven't seen her since my book came out on January 23 -- which I suppose makes sense, since I've been an utter hermit for the past month and spent a week in Santa Cruz besides), I promptly called the pizza place to cancel my order, then met her at her place so that we could go to Olive for dinner and a drink. It turned into a longer endeavor than expected since it was hard to get a table at happy hour, but it was v. v. lovely to see her, and we did eventually get a table. Of course, it was cause for surliness to watch Chandlord eat a gluten-y pizza when I had been forced to cancel my gluten-free one, but I had a v. delicious ceviche and chips, so it wasn't that bad. And the company was entertaining, and it was good to catch up, so yay to all of that.

I came home around 10:15, and worked straight from then until now. And now I must go to bed -- I need to edit all day if I have any hope of finishing the book by Monday as I planned to. Goodnight!

No comments: