Sunday, March 22, 2015

coming of age

I'm beyond exhausted tonight, so I'm going to go to bed at 9:15 and hope that restores me to some level of ability before I have to go to work tomorrow (and also survive training with Alyssa and taking a swimming lesson, which seems like a fool's errand). Last night was fun, and I behaved myself more than I expected, but I didn't get nearly enough sleep (stupid adulthood and stupid waking up at 6:30am even when I don't have to), and so today was brutal.

It was particularly brutal because I spent almost the entirety of it packing (or taking breaks from packing), and it's always a little emotionally taxing to pack up stuff and consider the exciting step of moving to a new place while also mourning the old one. This is the longest I've ever lived anywhere since Iowa; we're at three years and nine months here, which is over two years longer than my previous record. And a lot of great stuff has happened here - while I was packing up the paperbacks of my published books, I realized that all five books that I've written were released to the public while I was living here, and this place won't see another.

So that was a bit surreal. But the packing went mostly fine; I'm getting close to done in the kitchen, and I packed nearly all of my books. I'm hoping I can do some stuff every night this week so that Friday and Saturday aren't too brutal, but tomorrow's likely to be a wash if I'm as tired tomorrow night as I have been after my previous swimming lessons. We shall see, we shall see.

But it wasn't all work - I also called my parents and wished them a happy anniversary (they were having steak, while I had indian takeout with Terry, so I'm guessing they were happier with their choice than with mine). And I watched a bit of basketball, but it mostly all served to obliterate the remaining shreds of my bracket. Now, though, sleep beckons...goodnight!

No comments: