Sunday, March 08, 2015

between the drinks and subtle things

Today was lovely, thanks for asking. Last night was not so lovely; I should have taken melatonin, but I was so smug from sleeping for nine hours the night before (likely because of the melatonin) that I didn't take it, and so I woke up at one a.m. and tossed and turned for what seemed like an eternity after. Of course, the switch to daylight saving time was nothing compared to what my body is already adjusting to, but it was still a little rough to get out of bed this morning.

But get out of bed I did, and I managed to shower, put on something mildly cute, and meet Kathia for a writing date (to which I was half an hour late, but that was as much because I was avoiding Rafe and Octavia as it was because I was sleepy). So I worked for forty-five minutes or so, and I had a pretty great idea for something (which I can't remember now, but I wrote it down, so hopefully it still looks brilliant tomorrow). Then we adjourned to brunch, which was what I really wanted, and we caught up on life over tasty eggs and potatoes.

After that, I came home and promptly took a nap, alleviating last night's problem and creating tonight's problem. Then I did a bit of shopping - I'm starting swimming lessons tomorrow (I know, crazy - I can swim, but I want to get over my fear of drowning so that I can go snorkeling on my spinster honeymoon, so we'll see how that works) and I needed a sport-style swimsuit that won't fall off since the swimming lessons are in a pool at work. Luckily I found what I needed with no drama at a swimsuit store on Union Street, and so I rewarded that effort by buying a couple of new shirts at Marmalade. As Priyanka would say, that was penny foolish and pound foolish, but I'm okay with it.

Then I talked to my parents, who were in fine form (even if I offended them by casually saying it was seventy degrees here today when they were all excited about it being above freezing in Iowa). And then I went to the neighborhood where I used to live with Adit and had a latte and a macaron at Cafe du Soleil; it was colder than expected while sitting outside, but it was still a lovely interlude.

After I finished my latte, I picked up John and Jess (who also live in that neighborhood), and we rendezvoused with Adit and Priyanka for family dinner at Enjoy Vegetarian. We discussed all manner of lovely and terrible things, such as murphy beds, female names that sound male, venmo, asthma, Hawaii, candle ceremonies, India, etc., etc. And then I came home, and I took a melatonin, and the bitch better work because I have to go to work tomorrow and ain't nobody got time for insomnia. Goodnight!

No comments: