Friday, August 14, 2015

and i want it and i wanted it bad

Today really did not go according to plan. I woke up early this morning (on plan!), but my stomach was hurting last night, so I hadn't slept all that well. But I dragged myself out of bed and over to Another Cafe, where I discovered that Kathia had already beat me there (although we hadn't confirmed that we were meeting up). So I sat with her and worked for a couple of hours, and I came to some excellent realizations about a secondary character, but those realizations required brainstorming rather than putting real words on the page, so I was a little dissatisfied with my progress.

But eventually I came home, made some eggs, took a shower, and was all ready for success with the next errand - I'd hired someone to come and mount my tv to the wall, which I was super psyched about. But it turns out that these walls are totally fucked (and by fucked I mean non-standard) - the wall I wanted to mount it on is actually a ventilation shaft (which now totally explains the draft that comes through the cable outlet), so he ran into metal rather than a stud. Then I tried the backup wall, which would have been non-ideal anyway, but he ran into metal there as well. The screws that came with the tv mount wouldn't work for this situation (and perhaps nothing would), so he apologized profusely and restored my tv to its stand instead of to the wall where I'd wanted it to be.

This was a total bummer, obviously; my choices now are a) no tv, b) get rid of a couch so I can move the tv stand, or c) leave the tv tucked into the nook between the loveseat and the library cabinet until I feel like watching it. Or d) return to the status quo where the back of the tv is visible from the dining table, but I hate that option. So I'm going to go with c) for now and see how I feel about it; since I haven't watched tv in a month, I don't really need it out all the time, but I don't know if this is a good solution either.

sssanyway, at that point I was thoroughly frustrated, so I walked down to Union Street and partook of some retail therapy (two shirts, nothing major). Then I came home, grabbed an iced coffee at Starbucks, and actually worked for a couple of hours - again, not a lot of words produced, but I did some research into the Spanish war that Rafe was a participant in, and I think I realized some things I'd failed to realize about him before that will make the book stronger.

Now, though, I really want to sleep; today was kind of frustrating, but I trust that it's all forward progress (on the writing side, at least; the tv was no progress at all). Goodnight!

No comments: