Sunday, August 16, 2015

i told you to be patient, i told you to be fine

Today was, if I'm being honest, really really rough. This is probably because I was so tired all day - I didn't sleep well at all last night, from a combo of heat + stomachache + repeated awakenings to see if I'd somehow missed my alarm going off. So, when the alarm finally went off at 4:30am, I was already mostly awake anyway. That made getting out of bed easy enough, even though the rest of the day suffered because of it.

But I put in some contacts, threw on yesterday's clothes, and picked up a friend to take to the airport (undisclosed friend bound for an undisclosed location -- #sorrynotsorry). The friend made me iced coffee as a reward, so that was awesome. And obviously the traffic to SFO at 5am on a Sunday was quite easy, so I was there and back before the sun came up.

The coffee and adrenaline, though, made it impossible to go back to sleep, so I sat on my couch and drank my coffee and contemplated life and love and the mystery of it all as the sun rose over the city. And then I did some writing, which was moderately satisfying (albeit difficult). I also did early morning laundry, which was v. necessary since I hadn't done laundry in a couple of weeks and was out of workout clothes, which would have been v. bad for seeing Alyssa tomorrow.

Anyway, eventually I had to put away my laptop, take a shower, and meet up with Claudia (aka Santy Claude) for brunch. I picked her up and we ended up going all the way to the doldrums of the Outer Sunset, where we ate at a Irish tavern because it was easy and good. Our conversation was also easy and good, and she was understanding of the fact that I was too tired to really verbalize anything profound (or to finish my mimosa, which is a first).

Then I dropped her off, came home, and promptly slept for an hour. And then I called my mother, who sounded like she was doing okay enough, so that was good. I then folded all the laundry I'd done earlier in the day before talking to my dad; I will see them in a week and a half, which is a good thing since I haven't been home since Christmas (even though I saw them in Texas).

Then, I was going to get coffee and either write or read a book and try to go to bed by nine, but as I was procuring the coffee (which is the only thing that kept me from dying tonight), I got last-minute coerced into family dinner at My Tofu House. It was the usual bit of ridiculousness, particularly when we stack-ranked a bunch of our friends in order of weirdness (it's possible that I'm third-weirdest, which I find weird, but this blog and the fact that I write in it every single night was used as Exhibit A in the case against me, so whatever). But Adit, Priyanka, and Chandlord were all in fine form, and Chandlord put up with me making a lot of grandiose statements about how many holes I've drilled in her walls, and it was fun to watch Priyanka eat a million things, and Adit is somehow the least weird of all of us (which, albeit true, is kind of a shocking realization, especially since he was wearing a shirt with a penguin on it).

sssanyway, we wrapped up with a group hug (I went for Priyanka's torso, which may have ended the group hug abruptly), and then I gave Chandlord a ride home before popping several ibuprofen and hoping that my headache will subside as soon as I get some sleep. And now I'm going to crawl into bed and hope I get eight or nine solid, uninterrupted hours before tomorrow's south bay death march begins - goodnight!

No comments: