Friday, August 21, 2015

non, je ne regrette rien

I have run away to an undisclosed location (spoiler: it will be disclosed in the next few paragraphs). I woke up this morning to my real life, immersed in San Francisco's fog, feeling blocked by a story that has caused me to despair for months. And I made a valiant effort to push through it all - I showered, put on a dress, and went to my favorite cafe, where they have begun to make my iced coffee as soon as I walk through the door (even when I'm late, as I was today).

But there was no amount of caffeine that could make the fog better. So I worked for a bit, but it was mostly futile. And then I decided to fuck it all and get out of the city, since the noise and the homeless people and the generally discordant feeling of being so lucky while walking through such tragedy was bumming me out. So I used Hotel Tonight and found a room in wine country for a relatively amazing rate, and I ran home and threw a couple of dresses and some pajamas and my writing tools of the trade into a bag...

...and then I drove north for an hour and a half. My mood lifted as soon as I passed the Golden Gate and the fog cleared, and I drove north in a state of bliss (tempered by my moody playlist, which clearly generated itself in the fog). I got to Healdsburg around 2:30pm and checked into my hotel, which is gorgeous - it's a former manor, built in the 1880s, and my room has a little patio where I spent some quality time writing this afternoon. The patio backs up against the gardens, and I heard the rustling, throughout the afternoon/early evening, of the chef's staff harvesting a variety of items for tonight's dinner. It was rather awesome to look up and see someone in chef's whites hustling toward the kitchen with a bowl of produce.

But I didn't eat the six-course tasting menu, even though this place has a Michelin star - I'm here to work, and I focused as well as I was able to. I went into town after checkin and grabbed a late lunch + some more coffee, then came back here and reread what I have on the patio. Then I took a nap (v. necessary), and then I spent the past four hours alternating between the veranda and a quiet corner of the bar while I ate delish food (scallop crudo, beet salad with tasty creme fraiche, cheese plate for dessert). I wrote a bunch of pages for Rafe and Octavia, and I befriended Pam (the awesome, newly-married bartender), and it has all been generally delightful.

However, I'm going to go to bed after this and get up earlyish so I can write with coffee on my patio before heading back to the city - I'm only here for the night, since I have to be back in the city for social plans in the afternoon. But as a sunny, peopleless break for focusing on my writing, this was exactly what I needed. Goodnight!

No comments: