Sunday, August 09, 2015

i tell my love to wreck it all

My eyes feel like they're bleeding, but I think they're merely, finally, producing tears after hours of having contact lenses glued to them while I stared at my laptop. Today was both highly productive and highly delightful, but I'm now highly wiped out. It started at seven a.m., when I made some tea and read a book for an hour (yay). Then I cleaned myself up and met Kathia at Another Cafe for an hour, where I was supposed to write and instead redid the outline for the middle section of the book. Then I came home, grabbed my car, and drove to Pac Heights, where I had brunch at Ella's with Lauren (aka Subz).

Lauren was in fine form, as usual. I still need to give her the customary birthday grilling about life and goals and hopes and dreams, etc., since we didn't get to go out for her birthday, but brunch didn't feel like the right time for that. But we still talked about life, work, friendship, impending babies, etc., which was all v. good. And we made plans to do yoga together sometime (I know, my fall into California yuppiedom is complete). So, hopefully we'll maximize friend time before her baby arrives, at which point I will switch to showing up at her house during naptime so that we can catch up without having to drag the baby to a restaurant.

After brunch, I came home, took a nap, and then commenced the slog. I worked on my couch for two hours, and then I went to Another Cafe (again) with Kathia (again) and worked for another hour or so. All of that work, plus the work I did tonight, was related to updating purchase links the back of my ebooks + uploading those ebooks to all the retailers - this seems like a simple task, but the most effective way to generate sales is to provide unique links to each retailer from within books sold by that retailer (on the theory that someone who buys one book from Apple will want to buy the next one from Apple as well). So since I have five books on five retail sites, that's twenty-five separate files, and there were bunches of changes to be made within each file, and any mistake could be quite costly. See: my eyes feeling like they're bleeding.

But I took a break from the screens so Kathia and I could have dinner. We tried to get into Liholiho Yacht Club, but even at 6pm the line was 2.5hrs for a table for two. So we abandoned that plan, walked down to Union Square, and ended up at Aveline. I'd never been there, but it was pretty lovely - the interior was oddly bright and airy, but my steak was bloody enough to balance it out.

Once we were finished with dinner, we walked back toward our respective areas until it was time for me to leave her. And then I came home and spent the last three hours finishing my back matter nightmare and uploading all those files to all those sites (and being reminded of how happy I am not to be working for a retailer). Now, I must take my bleeding eyes to bed and hope they recover so I can write tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: