Saturday, August 01, 2015

then you disappear and make me wait

As is typical of the day after a highly-productive day, I didn't get all that much done. I spent most of the morning dealing with promo-type stuff, which was good enough; I was at the cafe by 7:30 and worked until 10:30, so that's not so shabby. Then I proceeded to the San Francisco office of my former employer, where I had lunch with Gyre - we see each other a lot more now that I'm not working in Mountain View, and it was great to catch up (even if my guest lunches are accumulating at an alarming rate...but if the last time I left is any indication, they will all eventually fall off until Gyre is the sole survivor again).

After lunch, I walked home again (total miles accumulated today: at least seven, between walking to SOMA and back + walking to Another Cafe twice + my dinner adventures), took a nap, and then called my mother. After talking to her, I wrote in my journal for awhile, then roused myself out of my hermitville and walked through the fog back to the cafe, where I did another couple of hours of work. Then I said a v. brief hello to Chandlord before coming home, where I intended to clean the apartment...

...but I was lured out again by Adit and Priyanka for a v. lowkey family dinner. I went over to their house first, and Adit and I spent an hour catching up while drinking a bottle of wine (well, except for the last half-cup, which was saved to be sacrificed for a fruit fly trap later). It was good to see him in the comfort of his own home, where he didn't drip sweat all over everything like he did in Central Park last week. Then Priyanka finally got home for work, and we eventually went out for dinner. We initially tried for Mama Ji's, but we got there just as they closed (at 9:45pm! this barbarism would never happen in NYC!).

So we retraced our steps and ended up at Namu Gaji, a Korean place that Priyanka had wanted to go to all along. Oddly enough, we were seated at a communal table right next to one of my former coworkers (Tom, who sat in the same cube as the people who reported to me, although he never had that dubious honor), but we managed to keep our conversations mostly separate. Not that my side really had any conversations - the three of us were all so hungry and so tired (because we're too old for ten p.m. meals) that we mostly focused on stuffing our faces.

But it was great to see Adit and Priyanka, and the food was lovely, and my first post-Boston wine went down oh-so-smoothly. And now, even though I want to hold on to my theoretical youth, I think it's time for bed -- goodnight!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please!!! Make it change!!!

Sara said...

@Anonymous: do you mean the font? how does this lovely serif style work for you?

Anonymous said...

The peachy, pinkish, orange has to go!