Tuesday, September 29, 2015

it's okay if it's gone...the thoughts that you had that it was the one

I made it back to San Francisco without incident, but now I'm desperately tired and want to sleep immediately (even though it's 8:30pm here)...and I think I'm going to indulge that desire pretty soon, since I want to get tons of sleep to encourage my continued recovery from my cold. But today went about as well as it could have gone. I woke up at 7:15ish and packed my stuff before having breakfast with my parents, who were sad to see me go because I'm so awesome (and modest). Then I showered, made my bed and put my stuff away until next time, said goodbye to the parents, and left on schedule to go to the airport.

The drive was completely quiet and boring, with the usual frustrations of getting stuck behind slow trucks on two-lane country highways, but it was nice to admire the fall colors in Iowa before getting to Des Moines. Once there, I returned the rental car, checked my bag (not really necessary, but I was on a very small plane out of DSM with a very tight connection in Denver and didn't want to risk having to wait for my bag in Denver), and made it through security in approximately two minutes, which left time for me to grab a somewhat lackluster lunch at the airport before saying goodbye to Iowa and getting on my flight.

As I said, the plane was tiny; my seatmate was not tiny, but I survived by sleeping almost the entire way. In Denver, I had just enough time to grab an iced coffee before boarding my second flight (and spending most of the time on the tarmac talking to that seatmate, who had recently had open heart surgery to repair a blown aorta, which was initially interesting and then eventually far less interesting...but he was a nice guy and I'm glad he's alive, I guess). The second flight was also uneventful, but I forced myself to write five pages of Rafe and Octavia, which was a good start to what I expect to be a week of hellish slogging.

When I got to SFO, I collected my bag, retrieved my car, and grabbed food. Then I took care of the most pressing things around the house - buying milk for tea, unpacking my suitcase, and grabbing my packages and mail from downstairs before holing up on my couch and debating whether to stay awake and write or whether to go to sleep and make Future Sara write instead. My guess is that the latter desire is going to win and that Future Sara is going to hate me, but that's okay - sleep is pretty imperative at this point. But the hardcore writing slog commences tomorrow, so get ready for some insanely boring posts (other than the couple of social activities I have planned that I can't reschedule...hopefully those people are excited to see me in subverbal crazy mode). Goodnight!

No comments: