Saturday, September 12, 2015

never forget

Once upon a time, I was thirty-three. And it was a good age, but it wasn't meant to last. And so now I am thirty-four, and embarking on yet another year of blogging (this blog has been going for 11+ years, although the first couple of years weren't blog-every-night types). Hopefully there are other things I will accomplish this year besides regular blogging, but we shall see!

Anyway, today was perfect. I woke up in time to drive to Palo Alto and train with Alyssa...we hadn't seen each other since before I went to Iowa, since she was in Colorado when I got back and I didn't have time to drive down earlier this week. Then I showered quickly and sped back to the city, where I grabbed lunch and coffee before coming home and settling into my afternoon. I didn't write, as perhaps was to be expected - instead, I talked to my parents, exchanged texts and emails with all the delightful people who wished me a happy birthday, and took a stab at cleaning my apartment so that I can enjoy it while working incessantly for the next few days.

Eventually, though, it was time to have fun with people again...and first up was [censored], who came over to see my place before our evening activities. [censored] pointed out that my place is quite small (true) and that I could easily get far more space for the same amount of money in Iowa (also true), but I won't be dissuaded from my city of preference. Then we caught a lyft to the Missions, where we had drinks at ABV. I told the waitress (whom I've had there several times before, on all my most ridiculous excursions there, including when Bill screamed in my face) that [censored] prefers [censored], so they brought him a v. strong concoction of rye and ginger ale, which seemed to do the trick. At some point Claudia (aka Santy Claude) showed up, and the three of us had a delightful time drinking and talking until it was time for dinner.

Dinner was accomplished at Locanda, where I have also had several ridiculous activities. We met up with John and Jess (Jess = nicest person ever), and the five of us had a perfectly isolated table in the window, which should have pleased the other patrons since they weren't subjected to our family time reminisces / secrets / inappropriate jokes about 9/11. I inadvertently got John in trouble for mentioning that he had come to my graduation lunch twelve years ago (my apologies!), but it's clear that Jess is still the nicest person ever. It's also clear that Claudia is not the nicest person ever, but since she has no desire to make my skin into a cloak, I accept that. And we all discussed Adit enough that I'm going to give this the family time tag whether that's appropriate or not - #sorrynotsorry.

Anyway, this was a totally perfect birthday dinner, and the entire day made me feel v. loved. And now I'm going to go to bed, sleep the sleep of the #blessed, and spend tomorrow writing with all the madness in my soul. Goodnight!

No comments: