Saturday, September 05, 2015

if you live like that, you live with ghosts

I did not approach the page quite as joyfully as I had hoped today, but at least I approached it. I woke up this morning, laid in bed for awhile, and then tried a meditation app that I downloaded yesterday (Headspace) - I'm messing around with different approaches to getting into the right frame of mind for writing, and I'm curious to see whether meditation will help. It certainly can't hurt, and the app was actually quite nice, so I'm going to keep going with the initial ten-day program and see what else it has in store.

After that, I showered, put away some clothes, made some iced coffee, and sat down to write, but I mostly stared at the screen and then wrote a couple of emails (so if the meditation didn't hurt this morning, it didn't exactly work as intended). But then I walked down to my old neighborhood to see my aesthetician, and then I had lunch at my favorite cafe, where Tony and I had a delightful conversation and agreed that we get along so well because we are terrible people. I also went to the Japanese stationery store next door and bought my birthday present from my parents - a gorgeous pen with a semi-translucent red/strawberry-colored barrel, which I totally adore. Not that they probably intended for me to buy a pen...and not that I intended to buy a pen...but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Then I walked home, took a nap, and spent the afternoon contemplating Rafe and Octavia. I only got a couple of pages, but then I sat down with my notebook and my new pen and came up with some halfway-decent ideas for the next few chapters, so I'll take it. Thank you, new pen!

Eventually, though, I pursued my one social plan of the day - I met up with Heather (aka dear respected madam) and Salim at Regent Thai. Salim was v. offended at the kissy faces I made at him, but he mostly took everything in stride. And it was great to see them, of course - it's so hard to believe that we were in India together ten years ago this summer, and how much our friendship has grown and evolved since then.

We didn't catch up on all things ever, of course, since we only had a couple of hours, but it was super nice to hang out. I came home around ten, nearly fell asleep on the couch, and now need to go to bed for realz so that I can write tomorrow (you've heard that before) - goodnight!

No comments: