Monday, September 14, 2015

think you're overthinking, use your lips instead

I probably socialized more than I should have allowed myself to socialize today, but since these were my last firm plans until Saturday and I'm going into hardcore hermit writer mode, I allowed myself to indulge and say goodbye to my humanity. But luckily I woke up to a less-sore neck - it still wasn't great, but it didn't totally wreck my morning, and I was able to eat breakfast, tidy up the house, pack my gym bag, and write four pages before going to the south bay to train with Alyssa.

Of course, since my neck was hurting, our workout wasn't the usual kettlebell extravaganza; we mostly focused on trying to open up my movements and fix my neck, so we'll see how I feel tomorrow. After we finished, I showered, put on real people clothing (I mean, I always get dressed, but sometimes I wear clothing that makes it clear I'm not a corporate drone...but today I wanted to fit in with my surroundings, so real people clothing was required), and drove to my old place of employment for some afternoon fun time.

First up was lunch with Sriram, my old boss. It has been four months since I left the day job, so this was our fourth monthly lunch (although we missed one already, and will miss next time since he's going to Frankfurt...perhaps the only thing I'm jealous of/wish I weren't missing is the Frankfurt trip, since it was ridiculous and ridiculously fun both times I went). We caught up over marginally decent food (how quickly I already start complaining about the quality of free food when I go back...), and then grabbed juice from the juice bar, but I was annoyed that they had switched the menu and don't make my favorite juice anymore (again, see how quickly I complain).

But it was good to see Sriram and catch up on how he's doing, even if between seeing him + seeing coworkers last night + seeing Eugene after, I'm pretty much gossipped out for a few weeks. After Sriram and I parted ways, I met up with Eugene to continue the gossip-fest. But first up was a quick, lovely free concert in one of the lobbies; a country music artist was on campus and sang three songs in one of the buildings I used to have a lot of meetings in, so I checked that out (verdict: good, impressive that she was able to talk coherently while fixing a guitar string after it broke during her first song, but as with most country music some of the songs about death, lost loves, etc., hit a little too close to home for comfort). Then Eugene and I drove over to coffee lab, where I enjoyed a free latte and the strains of Eugene's voice, which I never would have guessed a year ago since he never talked to anyone in his first few quarters on the team. But I always enjoy hanging out with him, and he enjoys the fact that he took my job and got so much from my departure, so I think we're good.

After Eugene, I drove home, and thanks to a judicious application of 280 it only took an hour and fifteen minutes. Then I talked to my mother for awhile, since I missed our call yesterday due to a combo of Half Moon Bay and My Tofu House (neither of which we have in Iowa). Then I ate leftover thai takeout, which was a huge mistake since it made me super sleepy and kept me from writing.

But all in all, today was almost close to perfect. So now I'm going to sleep, hope that my neck continues to heal itself, and go into super hermit mode tomorrow.

But before I say goodnight...happiest of happy birthdays to Terry! You may remember her as my former roommate, and thus the star of many blog posts over the past few years. I hope the day was a great one!

No comments: