Monday, September 07, 2015

see our love turn to rust

I didn't do nearly enough laboring on Labor Day, which is pretty much all you need to know. However, I feel that I should record the rest of the day's events for posterity. I woke up, lazed about in bed like a total wench, and finally showered and ate a snack while mulling over the next scene in my book...so, really, that's like every morning.

Eventually, though, I had to leave the apartment and venture into the million-degree heat to meet up with Katrina, Chandlord and Priyanka. We had a v. ladylike excursion to Crown and Crumpet, which is a tea place in Japantown, conveniently located only five blocks or so from my apartment. Despite its proximity and the fact that it's everything I adore, I had never been there before, so I'm glad that Katrina organized the activity for us.

The place was super cute and v. much an attempt at being British (although I'm not sure the Brits use quite so much pink), which is a bit odd given that everything else around it/above it/below it is v. Japanese. But they had the traditional multi-tiered tea services and the individual pots of tea for each person, which I always love. Even better, they have a v. good gluten-free tea service, with gf bread for the sandwiches, gf scones, and other gluten free delicacies. So Katrina and I each had the gluten free service, and Vidya and Priyanka each got veg stuff, and we succeeded in meeting all of our dietary restrictions with minimal eyerolling from the waitstaff.

But despite the heat being a little too much for tea, we had a great time - it was a nice place to catch up, which was key since I hadn't seen Katrina in ages, and the food was v. filling. So we hung out there for a couple of hours, and it was a nice way to end the long weekend (not that things like 'weekends' matter all that much to me anymore).

After tea, I came home and took a nap and lazed about directly in front of the fan, since it was all I had energy for. I also called my parents; I usually call on Sundays, but [censored] had stopped that from happening yesterday, and I didn't really have much to discuss since I just saw them on Wednesday. Still, it was good to talk to them despite the lack of any substantive updates. I perhaps should have gone out tonight, but instead I indulged my inner hermit (not that my inner hermit is all that secretive about her existence, since everyone knows of my hermit side), ate whatever I could scrounge up in my fridge, drank iced coffee to keep myself going, and alternated between writing / journalling / coloring (yes, coloring, more on that another time perhaps) / procrastinating / bemoaning the heat.

So that was a nice, quiet evening, and I'm feeling good about the week ahead (if I can buckle down on Rafe and Octavia, which I think I can). The only thing I'm not feeling good about is the vaguely scratchy feeling in my throat and the vague press of a headache behind my eyeballs, which I hope stays vague/nonexistent and doesn't turn into a summer cold to remind me that I'm turning 34 and will soon be old and decrepit. So I'm going to sleep and hope the stave off whatever might be brewing...goodnight!

No comments: