Tuesday, May 17, 2016

all the voices in my mind calling out across the line

I'm out of words...today was productive, but not productive enough, and it's time to kick it to the next level. But I'm hoping that, now that I'm back into a somewhat productive writing rhythm for the first time in like eighteen months, I can keep it going after I finish this book - the key will be to not wait too long before starting the next one. Not that I intend to be like Anthony Trollope, who wrote every morning before his job at the post office, and said that if he finished a book in the middle of his morning writing session, he took out a new sheet of paper and started another book - that sounds like utter madness. Also, Trollope didn't have to do all the publishing/promo work. But regardless, it's feeling good to be back in the groove - I just need to get more done in the next week so that I'm happy with what I turn in to my editor.

So today was pretty inward-focused. I got up slightly later than intended, showered, ate some eggs, and went downtown to try out another coworking space. The verdict on this one is that I liked the walk and the surrounding area, but the space itself wasn't all that lovely - of the three I've tried, the mid-market location is the most beautiful/welcoming internally, but it's also in the worst neighborhood and I would probably never want to walk there again. But this one allows for daily passes, so I'll probably go there a couple of times in the next couple of weeks and see how I like it.

I worked for a couple of hours (somewhat interrupted by a long, entertaining group text with [censored] and our cousin Drewbaby), and then I grabbed lunch from Specialty's (which I was able to order ahead, so that was efficient). I also had a random Tom sighting while crossing Market, since his office is near there - there would be some advantages from being more conveniently located for lunch activities. Then I worked for another couple of hours before grabbing a bus to the Marina, where I saw my aesthetician and exchanged desultory gossip with her.

Then I came home, sat on the couch, and called [censored] to wish him a happy [censored] and catch up on life. He is in the process of [censored], and closes on [censored], so we discussed that + a variety of other life activities. After we hung up, I ate dinner, and then I went to the grocery store to stock up on foodstuffs - but they were out of lemons and cucumbers, which puts a real damper on my plans to make lemon chicken skewers + greek salad, so I'll have to try somewhere else tomorrow. Then I came home and meant to write for an hour, but instead I went down a wikipedia hole and only just emerged.

But this is getting incredibly boring, and you deserve better, so I'll leave you in peace and go to bed. Goodnight!

No comments: