Wednesday, May 25, 2016

the slow hum

I'm about to collapse from exhaustion (all mental/emotional, as it always is at this stage in the writing), so you're getting v. little from me tonight. I didn't write as many words/revise as many scenes as I had hoped today, but I had some startling insights/flashes of inspiration regarding the ending, and now I need to spend tomorrow going back through the whole thing and figuring out what's working and what's not and what I can fix in time to send it to my editor tomorrow night (which will likely be the wee, wee hours of Thursday morning).

So, needless to say, I was a hermit today. And I spent way too long digging into Wikipedia - once I start looking into a minor detail around whether characters could go to Italy in 1813 (they likely couldn't - most of Italy was theoretically free but actually under the control of Napoleon, and Napoleon and Britain were obvi at war), I only emerge from Wikipedia hours later, when I'm thirsty/hungry/unable to see straight.

But I did shower, put on something cute, put on red lipstick to complete the illusion of grown-up competence, and walk over to Fillmore, where I had a v. late lunch at Grove and drank a glass of subpar rosé while working for a couple of hours (seeing other people in the wild is always stimulating). Then I came home, did some laundry, talked to Terry about my upcoming NYC trip, and generally messed around on wikipedia before getting back into the story.

So that's all I've got for you. Never fear, the next couple of weeks are going to get way more interesting - I leave Thursday night on a redeye bound for Boston, where I shall spend the weekend with Ritu and Bill, and if you've read my blog at all this winter, you know how wonderful/terrible Ritu is for my liver and my fun-factor. So that will be a good break, but I need to earn it by going to bed now and writing like mad tomorrow -- goodnight!

No comments: