Tuesday, May 10, 2016

what's that jacket, margiela?

Still haven't hit my ten p.m. bedtime this week, but I'm getting closer, and I'm going to bed as soon as I post this. Today was gorgeous, though, and well worth recounting. I spent the morning getting stuff done at home (mainly making and consuming coffee and eggs, along with a few other things). Then, I drove to Mill Valley to rendezvous with my friend Grace. She also writes historicals, and she's one of my favorite author friends although I don't see her very often (her schedule is hectic and she has a kid; my schedule is hectic because I'm half-nomad).

We had agreed to a writing day, but it turns out that she's taking a break from writing (her latest book came out a couple of weeks ago), which meant that I was going to write and she was going to read a book. This went about as well as you can imagine. Actually, I was quite productive in the morning - we sat at a table inside this gorgeous grocery store, drinking smoothies to keep ourselves going (and later getting coffee, which was quite good). And I got some solid words in and finished the scene I really needed to finish today, so I'm happy with that.

But Grace and I hadn't really caught up since Hawaii, and we didn't see each other enough there, either, so we had a lot to discuss. We ended up playing hooky from the writing for the afternoon and going to Gloria Ferrer, where we sat on the terrace for three hours and caught up over bubbles and cheese and charcuterie. I had a glass of the anniversary rosé, which was pretty close to perfect, and I converted Grace to the blanc de noirs that is my favorite (although she is a self-proclaimed lightweight, and it's good she's self-proclaimed, because if she wasn't aware of it, everyone would have made it known to her by now). And we talked about tons of wonderful and not-so-wonderful stuff related to writing, genres, business trends, etc. I also got mildly sunburned, but you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

Then we eventually went back to Mill Valley and worked for another hour. And then I parted ways with her, came home (traffic was great in this direction), and ordered a pizza because I'm out of groceries and didn't feel like rectifying the situation. And now, after a gorgeous day of writing and sunlight and sparkling wine and friendship, it's time to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: