Thursday, May 05, 2016

so fresh and so clean

I am sorry to report that tonight did not go totally off the rails, and so I have no serendipitous adventures to share with you. However, I consumed enough rosé to make me feel like bedtime is the right call...but first, I shall finish this (lucky you).

I woke up somewhat early this morning, was pleasantly surprised to find I was only moderately sore from yesterday's gym excursion, took care of some business stuff from home, and then went to Philz, where I slogged v. diligently until after one p.m. This meant that I needed two cups of coffee instead of my usual one cup (although I went small on the second cup so that I wouldn't have a caffeine-induced heart attack), but I'm really happy with what I got done. This happened despite being distracted by watching the staff attempt to get a crackhead to leave the bathroom, which necessitated some police intervention (luckily, there are cops there all the time since that Philz happens to be next to a lot of city/state/federal government buildings - I don't think they even called a cop, they just waited for the next one who happened to come in for coffee). This makes Philz about 1000x more interesting from a people watching standpoint than the San Mateo Starbucks where I write with Anne and Barbara, I have to say....

sssanyway. After I finished there, I came home, ate some lunch, and then got my nails done, because #priorities (also I had gel on my fingernails that had to be professionally removed, but I went for a regular manicure this time, so no more nail excursions until the book is done). Then, I walked down to my old neighborhood, where I stopped in at Itoya to buy some paper, and then I progressed on to Nectar to see Leah and Chris. I haven't been there nearly as much since Kathia moved away, since I'm less likely to make plans in my old 'hood, but I had run into Leah at Whole Foods on Tuesday and promised I would stop by (this after we had exchanged texts several times trying to coordinate - but they work all the time, so really the only time I can see them is by stopping by the bar on the nights they're both working there).

So I spent 3+ hours there catching up with them and drinking rosé, which was delightful - we were overdue for a catch-up, and the first hour or so was pretty quiet (the heavy drinking afternoon crowd were at the 'mexican' type places in the Marina for Cinco de Mayo, because bros like to celebrate 'holidays' like that). When their crowd picked up, I scribbled in my notebook for a couple of hours while eating burrata/prosciutto and then bacon wrapped dates - I had intended to go next door and gorge on steak at Aix, but I was comfy at Nectar and decided to stay put. I ended the night by having a lovely conversation with one of their employees, who stopped by for a quick drink, and so this was all a good way to get in some socializing while also talking about things that have nothing to do with writing.

Then I came home, laid on my couch and exchanged texts about cannibals with Anne, and closed my eyes for longer than I should have because I might have just fallen asleep right here and stayed here all night. But now I'm ready for bed, and I want to repeat today's feats tomorrow, except I want to replace the manicure/wine time with a long afternoon/evening writing session instead. Glamorous, I know. Goodnight!

No comments: