Sunday, May 01, 2016

cause you make me feel like i've been locked out of heaven

I should have gone to bed a couple of hours ago, but since I'm probably still on west coast time and will return to it tomorrow (provided that Chicago O'Hare doesn't try to kill me again), it's not so surprising that I'm still up.

Today was a decent day, all in all - I got up later than intended and barely had time to shower before going downstairs for breakfast (the last event of the weekend). Breakfast was more sparsely attended than the lunch yesterday, but I enjoyed the people at my table - and my still-damp hair must have been okay, because the girl who sat next to me (who I later discovered was fourteen) abruptly blurted out 'you're so pretty!' after we'd been talking for ten minutes, which was hilarious and awkward and, of course, gratifying enough that I'm writing it down even though I shouldn't be so gratified by comments about my face from teenagers. But whatev, I'll totally take it.

sssanyway. Vanity aside, the rest of the morning was good - I took some pictures with some readers, bid fond farewells to people, and then went to the lobby with the intention of writing while the housekeeper cleaned my room. But of course I ran into people, and ended up having coffee in the lobby with Lari and her husband (who looks a lot like a hobbit, as was pointed out by one of the only male authors in attendance) - which was great, because I like Lari. But they eventually left me to my solitude, and I messed around and didn't get much done for a couple of hours because I was too wiped out to think.

But then I made a comprehensive list of what I need to get done this week (there's a shocking amount), and then I called my parents and talked to them for an hour and a half. Then I had supper in the hotel restaurant (decent, not the best ever, but totally adequate and way cheaper than SF), where I worked on the back cover copy for Rafe and Octavia's book. I continued this in my room until now, which means I probably spent four hours on it tonight - it's only a page, but it has to be a great page, and I need to get it done. But I got it to a decent enough state and sent it to some writer friends for feedback, so we'll see what they say.

And now I need to sleep so I can get up, shower, pack, eat breakfast, and go to the airport - wish me luck with all of that. Goodnight!

No comments: