Sunday, May 08, 2016

i'll be the preacher you be the confession

Today did not go as planned...which is not to say that it was bad, but I got very little done and have a lot to do, so that's kind of unfortunate. I got up this morning and took care of stuff around the house for awhile, and then I drove down to Palo Alto to have lunch with Ana. She's a romance writer whom I met on Twitter quite awhile ago, and we met more formally in New Orleans a couple of years ago, where I had really enjoyed her company. She and her husband moved to California shortly thereafter, and I'd intended to get together with her...but somehow two years passed before that happened. Oops.

However, we had reconnected a few weeks ago and set up today's lunch then, since I was traveling and then she was traveling and I'll soon be traveling again. We met up at Terun, which is an Italian place that I've been to a couple of times, and the food was great - I had a v. tasty risotto, and her eggplant parmigiana looked tasty. It was also really good to see her and talk writing shop with someone new; I have excellent people to talk writing shop with already, but it's always good to get new ideas.

But lunch took longer than I expected it to - I ended up taking her on a bit of a driving tour of Stanford/Palo Alto since she hadn't seen any of it before, and then we sat in my car and brainstormed her story for awhile, and long story short, the lunch that started at 11:30 ended at 4pm. Oops. This was fun, but totally derailed my plans for the afternoon.

My plan had been to go to Stanford and write, and so I went to Stanford...but first I stopped at the CoHo and had a salad and procrastinated, and then I went to the bookstore and bought some pens, and then I grabbed a tea from Starbucks, and then I eventually went to the library. And I stayed there for three hours, but I admittedly got very little done - I probably should have just read a book, or come home, but I kept thinking I would get in the mood and never quite did.

But c'est la vie - sometimes those nights happen. Then I drove home, messed around on the internet some more (I was tired when I got here, but the second tea I got before coming home probably gave me a second wind), and now must sleep so that I can approach the page tomorrow with a clear head - goodnight!

No comments: