Friday, March 26, 2010

foolish games

This was a mistake. It's two a.m., I drank too much tonight, and I have to meet with the head of the Ann Arbor office at nine a.m. (after checking out of my hotel). You only live once, I know, but I like the guy and would dearly love to not throw up on his shoes tomorrow, so I can only hope that my liver is positively influenced by all the half-naked college students roaming the streets of Ann Arbor.

Today was lovely, and I adore Ann Arbor; I had several great meetings with people in the office, including a couple of people whom I really like and have worked closely with over the years. I also attended some meetings that the big boss was holding, and even got to answer a question during her Q&A -- the answer was probably not profound enough to justify spending a thousand dollars to bring me here and house me for a couple of days, but it was good nonetheless. Today was also interesting because it was the day that they announced the finalists in the romance contest I won last year; I didn't enter this year and so had nothing on the line, but it was fun and bittersweet (and distracting) to follow the results today.

After work, I met up with Lauren (aka Subz), who showed me a fabulous time in Ann Arbor. She's out her for business school, and while I saw her in January, I was v. eager to catch up. We started off at a wine bar, which was lovely; we then went to a martini bar called the Black Pearl, where I had a millionaire's mojito (which was made millionaire-y by including a splash of champagne); we left Black Pearl and went to some salsa place, where we had another drink; then we walked across the main part of U of M's campus to Charlie's, where we met up with one of her friends from business school, who drank a tame beer while Subz and I split a 64oz Mason jar of raspberry Stoli, raspberry liquer, and melon liquor (mistake); and we ended up at Rick's, where we stayed just long enough to laugh at the undergrads grinding to a club mix of Taylor Swift's "Love Story" while draping each other in toilet paper. I was freezing while outside, since it's 28 degrees right now -- but I had a coat, unlike the little undergrad skanks who were wearing tshirts as dresses. Ah, to be young again.

Anyway, it was lovely to see Subz, and I was reminded all over again how much I miss her - I can't wait for her to be back in California again, even though she has another year of business school to get through first. Now, though, I must firmly turn my back on all memories of fun and go to bed; a little less than six hours will not be enough sleep to make me feel better about the 64oz Mason jar business, but it will have to do. Goodnight!

No comments: