Wednesday, March 17, 2010

seven for a secret never to be told

I need to go to bed as soon as possible; the big boss's staff meeting is tomorrow, and I really don't want to be late to it (since I'm chronically late -- it's the only morning meeting I have these days, and my sleep schedule is a little whacked out as a result). However, I shall recap today for you even though there's v. little of interest. I slogged successfully all day, forced into productivity because I had a one-on-one with the big boss this afternoon and I needed to get stuff done for it. I did take a break for lunch with Gyre and Lizzie; Lizzie works at another company down the road from us, and we took the highly unusual step of going off campus and actually paying for lunch. We used to do this all the time about six years ago. We had free food at that point too, but the building we were in was provided with catered-in sandwiches and pizza and stuff, and the only cafe with hot food was several minutes away, so we all used to leave campus once every week or two and grab burritos or In-and-Out. Off-campus sojourns are rare now, and therefore even more memorable; we had burritos at La Bamba, which I hadn't been to in years, and so it was great to catch up with them in a non-corporate (if my company can be called 'corporate') setting.

After lunch, I slogged for the rest of the day, taking a brief break at the end of it to hang out with Heather (aka dear respected madam). Then, I drove to downtown Mountain View and picked up the glasses that I ordered last week, which are totally lovely -- they're dark-rimmed in the front, with a sort of greenish mother-of-pearlish finish on the sides. I sat for a brief amount of time in the cafe above Books Inc to wait out the traffic, but didn't do any writing; instead, I ate a bagel, read about low-residency MFA programs on my phone (my complete indecision about the next step in my life continues), and then drove home. When I got here, I started reading a book (gasp) -- "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" by Stieg Larsson. After an hour, I'm starting to get into it, but I'm not sure yet why it's a best-seller...I'll have to see where it goes.

Now, though, it's definitely bedtime so that I can sleep for seven and a half hours before going back to the south bay and starting the cycle over again. Goodnight!

No comments: