Sunday, March 21, 2010

i have seen that sad surrender in my lover's eyes, and i can only stand apart and sympathize

I was a virtual recluse today, true to my plan, which was good for my productivity even if I did escape from the apartment for a couple of hours and buy an overly expensive handbag. I didn't get out of bed until ten a.m. (lovely), and then I took my time getting cleaned up and ready to tackle the day. I took the muni over to Samovar in Yerba Buena Gardens, where I intended to work for awhile; instead, I worked for about an hour over breakfast, but ended up vacating earlier than planned because it was cooler than I anticipated and I was getting chilly since they had the door open.

I swung through Nordstrom on the way back to the muni (classic mistake). I successfully kept myself from buying any shoes or cosmetics, which are (along with sunglasses) my biggest weaknesses, but I did end up buying a handbag because I wanted a sexy bag that is big enough to hold my notebook and manuscript so that I don't have to carry a laptop bag or backpack when I go out to write. Silly, I know. If I were a true starving writer, I would carry it around in a plastic bag or, better, something that I made for myself out of duct tape -- but I'm not at that point yet, so I prefer bags made out of lambskin and v. chic, decorative zippers. Clearly the chances that I will ever let myself become a starving artist, and thus cut off access to expensive accessories, are slim to none.

I then came home like a good girl, and like a good girl I did a bit of spring cleaning. Our apartment was on the verge of falling below the sixtieth percentile of cleanliness among others of our age group, and so I spent an hour doing dishes, taking out two bags of trash and two bags of recycling, disinfecting the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom, dusting, and swiffering to remove all my hair before Adit comes home tomorrow. I didn't clean my bedroom, and I need to do laundry tomorrow, but the place looks much, much better.

Cleaning was a good way to procrastinate, but I pulled myself back to my writing and managed to be pretty productive for the rest of the day. I had some procrastination later in the afternoon when Adit texted me to tell me the result of the Kansas/UNI game (which I didn't even realize was on -- my hermitage was quite effective), and then got so hungry around 8:30 while waiting for my pizza to be delivered (which took an hour and a half, which I thought was about an hour too long) that I couldn't concentrate. Other than that, though, I made quite a bit of progress. I entered a lot of paper revisions into the electronic copy of my manuscript, wrote some segments of new scenes, and then sat down and plotted the next thirty scenes or so, which will comprise the bulk of the rest of the book. Now that I have a roadmap again, I feel a lot better, and I'm so excited about where this book is going that I hope the writing will be relatively easy.

Now, though, I'm going to go to bed so that I can continue my hermitage tomorrow; goodnight!

No comments: