Monday, March 15, 2010

wamp-devils

Today, Adit called the little tufts of my hair that swirl into the corners of our apartment "wamp-devils". He had good reason to notice them; our apartment is falling into the kind of slow decay that often happens when everyone knows that the time left there is limited. Granted, given our usual state of cleanliness, we still have a long way to sink before we enter true squalor...but then again, Adit had to take the unusual step of adding water to our bathroom soap to make it last longer, since neither of us could be bothered to buy more. I did do the dishes and run the swiffer around the place (collecting an unprecedented number of wamp-devils), but beyond that, I decided to continue letting everything rot.

I spent the entire day working on writing-related tasks, with a few unexpected breaks. I'm trying to catch up with all the writing assignments I missed for my class, and I succeeded in writing two exercises and a critique, as well as reading several more short stories. I didn't get as far as I should have, and I'm going to have to somehow eke out more time tomorrow (likely by not sleeping), but the progress was better than nothing, and I was happy with both the exercises. The breaks consisted of going to Duboce Park Cafe for a sandwich (yum), coming home to discover that Katrina was here and so allowing myself to be distracted for an hour, and then spending an unusually long amount of time (two hours) on the phone with my parents. I also procrastinated a bit, although not as much as I could have; I downloaded Mac Freedom, which disables one's internet connection for a user-determined length of time, which definitely cut down on the surfing and promoted productivity.

But now, even though I would like to keep going with the writing, I'm going to go to sleep so that I can get seven wonderful hours of dreaming before I get up and go to work. Goodnight!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wampdevils. Somehow this seems remotely related to bobpiles.

The verification word today is
"ostuela". A pretty East German or pretty bones?

Really, you need to send Auntie B. $30 so she can make you a cake. Much "butter" than California "cowsine".

Sara said...

What's with trying to get Aunt B to make me a cake? Is she going into business?

Anonymous said...

Your Uncle Brian has a good eye for recipes. One he picked out for B to make is to die for! Probably will from the clogged arteries - but then it does have fresh fruit!I don't know the name of the cake, but let's just call it by its ingredients a Butter, white chocolate, butter, macadamia nuts, butter, fresh raspberries and butter cake. $30 worth of inputs. I'm thinking it should become a family tradition at all holiday gatherings.

Sara said...

Was saying that Uncle Brian has "a good eye" intended to be a joke? If so, that's terrible? If not, I feel bad for thinking it.

That cake sounds delicious, though; I vote for expanding the family tradition.

Anonymous said...

Well, it was one of those spur of the moment comments,but Brian is the one reading the culinary magazines and selecting some things to try, so yes, he has a good eye for good recipes.

Today's verification word is "fratiess". Would that be a frat house queen?