Friday, March 05, 2010

some silicone sister with a manager mister told me i got what it takes

I had a generally fabulous day, ending with dinner with The Enemy, and now I'm utterly spent. The day started out quite laid back; I worked out of the city this morning since the big boss is out of the office, and so getting ready this morning was much more leisurely (and much later) than usual. I slogged for a few hours in the San Francisco office, meeting with people and generally being productive, and then I drove down to the glorious south bay around 2:30pm to do a bit of work at my actual desk (shocker). I was v. productive there as well, and so I left work around 5:30 quite satisfied with myself.

I made a brief stopover at Philz Coffee in Palo Alto to get some much-needed caffeine, and I wrote for 45 minutes (the first time I had written anything for book two since going to India...but I'm really eager to get back into it). Then, I picked up The Enemy for dinner and took him to downtown Palo Alto. You may know The Enemy as Irish Matt (remember him? tall guy, from Ireland, named Matt? we spent six months in India together and then traveled around Sri Lanka...but I don't know why I'm telling you this, since any longtime reader of my blog will likely know of him). Irish Matt is now The Enemy because he left our company a few weeks ago to join Facebook (sssss) -- but I still get to see him because the enemy headquarters are in Palo Alto, and he's here for two weeks for his initial training. I felt quite weird skulking outside their headquarters in the dark waiting for Matt to come out, but once I picked him up I forgot that he was The Enemy and he became Irish Matt again.

We had quite a good time in downtown Palo Alto; I took him to Joya (where Claude the Fraude, Vidius Chandicus and I had drinks and dessert after the holidays), which was v. good. We ordered off the tapas menu, and while dinner was quite the prolonged affair (we ordered six dishes, they brought them out mostly separately, forgot the calamari and so brought it at the end, and then we had dessert as well), it was delicious. I also had a v. nice glass of malbec and a glass of Gloria Ferrer blanc de noirs sparking wine, which I enjoy; this wasn't as excessive as one might think, since dinner took almost three hours. But, those were three v. enjoyable hours to spend with Irish Matt, and hopefully I'll see him again while he's out here.

After an uneventful drive to the city, I played around on my laptop and bought plane tickets; my friend (who shall remain nameless in case she hasn't told her family yet, but you may know her as the queen of my heart and founding member of the Race of Joseph (you wouldn't understand unless you were part of the Race of Joseph yourself...or, more importantly, have read 'Anne's House of Dreams')) and I have made mad plans to go to Cancun together for a few days at the end of April, and so while we booked the hotel this morning, I needed to get my plane tickets so that I didn't leave her in Cancun all by herself. And now, after all that, I need to go to bed; this is going to be a hermit/writing weekend, so please expect some boring posts for the next few days. Goodnight!

No comments: