Monday, March 22, 2010

happiness writes white

I had a lovely day, despite barely leaving the house and not writing a word of my story. Instead, I spent most of the afternoon plotting out the timeline of my novel; I created two calendars for April, May and June of 1812, one of which contains actual historical occurrences, and one of which contains the events of my story overlaid on top of the historical events. The beauty of this system is that as I write more books, I can keep adding historical facts to the base calendar, and then create separate calendars for each new book, which will help with continuity as I expand the series. So, this was a v. worthwhile endeavor, even if I wish I had written a scene or two.

But, I couldn't write all day; I had to do laundry in preparation for my upcoming trip, and I needed to clean my bathroom before the dust-bunnies and wamp-devils conspired to asphyxiate me in my sleep. I also spent an hour on the phone with my parents, and some time procrastinating by watching some SNL digital shorts on Hulu. Around 7:30, I debated trying to write, but I decided that I wanted to relax and read instead, so I read a section of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". I was pretty lukewarm on the book when I started and didn't understand how it had become a best-seller; while I still have some issues with the language/style used, I have been completely won over in terms of the plot and characters. Sadly, according to my Kindle, I still have 20% of the book to read, but I can't do it tonight; I had to put it down to go to Oakland to pick up Adit. We had some lovely family time in the car, shared a couple of oranges while watching the end of an episode of "Iron Chef America", and now I've stupidly gotten sucked in to the end of "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest", which was terrible when I saw it in the theatre and is still terrible now. But, it's almost over, and then I'll go to bed, sleep for six hours, and go to work so that I can slog all day. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadden by your apparent dislike for the 'Pirates' of the World.......Perhaps an 'Eye' of trust will change your mind!!! ARGH!!!!